Feature request: import/export groups, hosts

vesku
2011-08-09
2013-04-23
  • vesku
    vesku
    2011-08-09

Hi,

It would be great if you could import/export groups and hosts (incl. settings) using a predefined list (CSV file or something). Currently managing group and host list is hard when there are loads of them (like +100), which also change regularly.

• Hello!

Well… export/import the *full* set of information for every connection is almost impossible (or at least, totally useless), since there are *tons* of configuration options and very complex data structures…so… I have to discard a full data CSV export.

May be, it could be somewhat useful an option to export just the *main* options (you know, method, ip, user, blah blah blah…), I don't know.

Anyway, you already have some *hidden* tools to export data to plain ASCII editable file and use it a PAC's main file:

0- Make a backup of $HOME/.pac !!!!
    1- Open the "Preferences" dialog and go to "Terminal Options"
    2- Check the "Expect DEBUG"
    3- Save and close the "Preferences" dialog
    4- "Save" your configuration from the PAC main window and Exit.
    5- Take a look at a new file named $HOME/.pac/pac.yml This is a YML ASCII file, wich contains *ALL* PAC's data, in a human-friendly format, which is of course editable! (but please, take a lot of care and respect the INDENTATION!)
    6- Once it has been modified, save it
    7- Go to $HOME/.pac
    8- rm pac.freeze pac.yml.prev3
    9- Start PAC!! ;)

Please, let me know if this workaround may be useful for you.

- David.

• vesku
    vesku
    2011-08-10

Thanks worked great!

Would be a good thing to have FAQ section in PAC manager web site? Keep up the great work! I've been recommending PAC for many Linux admin friends. :)

• Hello!

Thanks to you for using PAC!!

Ok, it would be nice that there was a better documentation (or at least, that there was *any* documentation ;) ), and a FAQ, etc… but I'm the only developer, and if I develop, I have no time to document, and if I document, I can't develop (and I prefer to develop! ;) )

You know, I have a job (pretty strange nowadays!), a family, and very little free time :(

Anyway, I'll take it into account, for sure! :)

Once again, thank you very much!
    - David.

• Pop
    Pop
    2011-08-14

Hi David …
    And why not write the pac settings in xml ?
    Thanks!

• hehehehe…. mm… XML format??…mmm… sorry, but no ;)  I really *hate* .xml format. You may think of YML as a SUPERset of XML.

- David.

• Pop
    Pop
    2011-08-18

Hi David … It was just a suggestion … to be honest I don't care about the format if it works …

• danialego
    danialego
    2011-11-30

i use PAC for manage Cisco Routers or Switches. oftenly i use the sequence cntrl+shift+6 x for change the telnet session. How do that in this terminal?