The Inverse Team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of PacketFence 2.2.1. This is a minor release bringing new hardware support, new features, enhancements, bug fixes and new translations. This release is considered ready for production use.
=== What is PacketFence ? ===
PacketFence is a fully supported, trusted, Free and Open Source network access control (NAC) system. Boosting an impressive feature set including:
* Registration and remediation through a captive portal
* Detection of abnormal network activities using Snort IDS
* Proactive vulnerability scans using Nessus
* Isolation of problematic devices
* 802.1X for wired and wireless networks
* Wireless integration for all provided features
* Supports complex and heterogeneous environments
* VoIP / IP Telephony support and more!
=== Changes Since Previous Release ===
New Hardware Support
* AeroHIVE AP Access Points
* Dlink DES 3550 switch (Thanks to Olivier Roch Vilato)
* Dlink DGS 3200 switch
* HP ProCurve 5400 Series
* ExtremeNetworks Summit now supports MAC Authentication and 802.1X
* Basic WISPR support improves iPod/iPhone/iPad usability (#815)
* Performance improvement for RADIUS based requests in environments with large conf/switches.conf files
* Increased responsiveness of VLAN assignments by reducing the available node information (got rid of unused fields)
* Nortel module now warns in the logs about a common stacking Nortel problem
* New DHCP fingerprint for Cisco/Linksys, Aruba, 3Com switch, HTC Android, Polycom, Konica Minolta MFP's and HP Printers
* Warning avoidance
* New FreeRADIUS and pfdhcplistener watchdog scripts in addons/watchdog/
* Admin Guide: cleanup of the MySQL optimization, more logging in Samba config
* New binding allowing to offer different captive portal for mobile devices
* Admin Guide's FAQ and Troubleshooting sections has been migrated to the PacketFence website
* Important fixes on Cisco 2960 related to Port-Security and VoIP handling in IOS 12.2(46)SE or greater
* Re-introduced MAC Authentication and 802.1X support in Cisco 3560, 3750
* Fixed expire deadline automatic un-registration (#865)
* Updated Admin Guide to reflect proper method calls for custom VLAN assignment
* Fixed Nortel switches problems on some models / firmwares
* Fixed installer errors (#1217)
* Increased PHP memory to PHP's default: 128M. Mitigates #962.
* Updated French (fr) translation (Thanks to Vincent Blut)
... and more. See the ChangeLog file for the complete list of changes and the UPGRADE file for notes about upgrading. Both files are in the PacketFence distribution.
=== Getting PacketFence ===
PacketFence is free software and is distributed under the GNU GPL. As such, you are free to download and try it by either getting the new release from:
or by getting the sources from the official monotone server using the instructions at http://www.packetfence.org/development/source_code_repository.html
Documentation about the installation and configuration of PacketFence is available from:
=== How Can I Help ? ===
PacketFence is a collaborative effort in order to create the best Free and Open Source NAC solution. There are multiple ways you can contribute to the project:
* Documentation reviews, enhancements and translations
* Feature requests or by sharing your ideas
* Participate in the discussion on mailing lists (http://www.packetfence.org/support/community.html)
* Patches for bugs or enhancements
* Provide new translations of remediation pages
=== Getting Support ===
For any questions, do not hesitate to contact us by writing to email@example.com
You can also fill our online form (http://www.inverse.ca/about/contact.html) and a representative from Inverse will contact you.
Inverse offers professional services to organizations willing to secure their wired and wireless networks with the PacketFence solution.
So this one was about stability. Watch out for the next major release, it's going to be big!