Menu

Newer versions than 9.20 coming?

2012-07-12
2015-01-13
  • Anybody Mustermann

Will there be a new linux version at some time? 7zip for windows has gone through quite a lot of changes since 9.20.

Do we need a final release version of 7zip for windows for an update of the linux port?

Thanks!

• my p7zip

my p7zip - 2012-07-21

7-zip provides sources only for beta or official versions.
    the last 7-zip version with sources is 9.22beta.
    But for p7zip, there are no big changes between 9.20 and 9.22 versions.

I wait for the next 7-zip version with sources …

• Gemorroj

Gemorroj - 2013-12-16

Igor Pavlov planned to release source code of new version in January 2014. link

• undefauth

undefauth - 2014-11-06

Can someone confirm that p7zip is no longer going to be updated?

• i_a

i_a - 2014-11-09

no it's the way Igor does things now days, he stopped releasing the source code for the "alpha" versions, personally I think the only reason they're called alpha is the lack of source, I remember there wore a lot more bugs in some of the earlier beta's but the source was released together with the binaries.
    The thing is we can't get a new version until Igor releases the updated source code and when will that be nobody seams to know.

• my p7zip

my p7zip - 2014-12-27

p7zip will be updated to 7-zip 9.35.

• Philippe Ombredanne

Do you have the code under version control somewhere? this could make collaboration a tad easier. I would be glad to chip in. And there is a 9.36 available too FWIW

• my p7zip

my p7zip - 2014-12-31

merging the source of 7-zip into p7zip is a heavy task.

Theses are a lot of change in p7zip 9.36 (from p7zip 9.20).

Even if p7zip was under a version control, i will not commit my changes before all my tests pass.

Have you access to machines that don't have a intel CPU (like Solaris Sparc, IBM AIX, ...) ?

• Philippe Ombredanne

my p7zip wrote:

merging the source of 7-zip into p7zip is a heavy task.
      Theses are a lot of change in p7zip 9.36 (from p7zip 9.20).
      Even if p7zip was under a version control, i will not commit my
      changes before all my tests pass.

All the more reasons to have other chip in and do the changes progressively in branch IMHO, unless you want to keep strictly a solo job of course.
      Also if both 7zip and p7zip ( @ipavlov wink, wink ) were under VCS it would be all the more easy to have some of the ported code patches contributed upstream when this make sense and make the port incrementally rather than in big batches every few years or so.

Have you access to machines that don't have a intel CPU
      (like Solaris Sparc, IBM AIX, ...) ?

I do not but qemu helps a lot for these kind of jobs. This is the approach we use on strace: https://sourceforge.net/p/strace/code/ci/master/tree/qemu_multiarch_testing/

• Philippe Ombredanne

FWIW I recreated the recent history of 7zip and p7zip here (just since 9.20, so not much history at all)
    https://github.com/pombredanne/7zip-and-p7zip

The issue here is that there is no way to understand the porting process you are doing since there is no history of your changes, no commits messages explaining why things are done a certain way, etc.

so why not use a VCS?

• Philippe Ombredanne

ping :)

• Philippe Ombredanne

So any reason why you would not use a VCS?