Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

p7zip building with MinGW

L Michaels
2013-06-11
2013-06-26
  • L Michaels
    L Michaels
    2013-06-11

I have p7zip building on Windows with MinGW. It's not perfect. Looks like it has some bugs with the exception handling routines. However, it is building all the executables without errors when one runs make all3. It does work well enough for me to be able to decompress and unarchive files with 7za (which is what I use most). It requires some patches and some sed commands before make is run.

Was wondering if it would be of use to post the patches and steps to get it to build under the Patches section at this site. Some of the projects I've been running into lately aren't very interested in supporting a MinGW port, so if that's the case, I do not wish to go any farther with this. However, if there's interest in including support for MinGW, I would be more than happy to share what I have so far.

• my p7zip
    my p7zip
    2013-06-15

p7zip is a port of 7-zip (www.7-zip.org) to Unix/Posix System.
    The p7zip drops compatibility with Windows API.

So p7zip supports cygwin (linux on Windows) and not MingGW.

MingGW builds native Windows programs (i.e. without the linux layer like Cygwin).

If, you want to support building with MingGW, you should add "makefile" to the 7-zip sources.

• L Michaels
    L Michaels
    2013-06-26

I actually found it easier to port p7zip to MinGW than to get 7-zip to work with MinGW. 7-zip appears to have code specific to Visual C++ (thus making it harder to port to other compilers). I think I'll stick with using p7zip with MinGW for now. Was also thinking of trying to build it with OpenWatcom as well now that I have it working with MinGW.