Status of p6spy

Dino
2004-12-17
2013-04-25
  • Dino
    Dino
    2004-12-17

What is the status? There has been no activity for over a year. It is an extremely useful tool for it to be abandoned.

dino

• Daniel Lang
      Daniel Lang
      2005-01-12

I'm also curious about the status of p6spy.  It's a great product - I don't want to see it die!

• I think that p6spy is in the same boat as the IronTrack set of tools: abandoned.

• Steve Souza
      Steve Souza
      2006-07-21

If this project is defunct then check out www.jamonapi.com.  It now has sql monitoring capablities and is very easy to use.   It also can monitor just about anything else in addition to jdbc/sql.

You can view a live demo at http://www.ssouza.com/jamon

• Ralph Harnden
      Ralph Harnden
      2007-10-04

I also am concerned about the status of p6spy.
      I just completed implementing the following enhancements:

o Connection leak monitoring (I did not notice the "JDBC Leak Detecter" patch that also performs leak monitoring)
      o ResultSet value tracing
      o PreparedStatement execution timing (actually, the timing of fetching the first row from a prepared query, which is when the statement actually gets executed!)
      o Support for WSAD 5.x, WAS 5.x and WAS 6.x.

I willing to submit the above enhancements, but will not do so unless one of the Project Admins responds to this posting.

I am also willing to contribute by becoming a project admin, and spend some of my limited spare time getting this project up-to-date.
      I have over 30 years experience in the software industry, and have access to many of the platforms on which others would use this project, including Oracle, WSAD 5.x, WAS 5 & 6, WebLogic 6+, etc.

Any thoughts?

Ralph Harnden

• Carl Hall
      Carl Hall
      2008-01-11

Like Ralph, I am also concerned with the status of P6Spy though I have little time to contribute.  At the very least, I'd like to see a status of the project post from the maintainer(s).  I believe the people listed on the 'About' page are reachable through Digital Cheetah's website.

• Andreas
      Andreas
      2008-11-21

This project seems to be death - WHY?

• Ralph Harnden
      Ralph Harnden
      2009-03-06

I suspect it has died because whoever used to admin this project is no longer around to delegate admin authority to someone else.

Is there any way to hack in to assign a new admin?

Anybody interested in participating in starting a p7spy project?

First thing I would do is simplify, and first of that would be to standardize on using commons logging, using that not only for logging but to control what gets traced.

Anybody?

• Pat
      Pat
      2009-03-13

I have been give permission by one of the admins to do work on p6spy.

The new work I have started is on the svn repository.

I have done some preliminary work on reorganizing and maven-izing the code.

This is not yet completely building but is a good start.

patch files are welcome.

Some of the patches posted over the years have been incorporated already.

Code that is oracle specific has been moved to the optional directory ( mostly because I have no way of building or testing it . ) Help in that area would be appreciated

• Pat
    Pat
    2010-12-29

Hi there -

Sorry for the late response. I think I am the only one who has recently done anything with p6spy. I got some basic access to this project from the only original developer I could reach. Unfortunately, not full project admin access. So I have moved over to github for further development.

You are welcome to help out there by forking and then sending me a pull request.

Further development at : https://github.com/patmoore/p6spy