Vidar Hasfjord - 2015-04-30

Hi Regis,

I was planning to drop support for 6.34 to reduce my workload. What are the stumbling blocks in upgrading to 6.41?

However, if you want to keep maintaining 6.34, you are welcome to do so. As you point out, the changes to the code should be small, but there is related work involved. Here is the complete procedure for adding support for a new compiler version and releasing a new version of a branch.

• Update "include/owl/private/owllink.h" and "borlandc.h".
  • Update "source/owlcore/bcmake.bat". The 6.34 version is really out of date now. See the version on the 6.42 branch for supporting the XE releases.
  • Update the version number in "source/owlcore/version.h".
  • Update the code for OWLMaker, so that the XE8 compiler version is recognised for the relevant OWLNext versions ("trunk/tools/OWLMaker/inc/ProdInfo.h").
  • Eliminate any new warnings and errors that the new compiler may report. Ideally, test 64-bit as well, using the project at "source/owlcore/CBXE3".
  • Do a full build test of all modules, build modes and compilers, and eliminate any regressions. Ideally, also build and run a few examples.

And here is how to release the update:

• Create a tag for the release in the code repository.
  • Upload the updated OWLMaker to Files | Tools.
  • Update page [OWLNext_Stable_Releases]. Add a new section for the release, detailing the changes with links to the code revisions and the tracker tickets.
  • Update page [Supported_Compilers].
  • Update [Main_Page], section "Latest releases", linking to the relevant section in "Stable Releases" and the code.
  • Create a new post in News announcing the release.

Regarding checking in changes to the code repository, see the new section in our Installation Guide on how to set up an authenticated working copy with write-access to the code repository.

So, if you want to take on the role, you are welcome as 6.34 maintainer and release manager. If not, I'll try to help you upgrade to 6.41.

Related

Wiki: Main_Page
Wiki: OWLNext_Stable_Releases
Wiki: Supported_Compilers

Last edit: Vidar Hasfjord 2015-05-05