Please note: there are two Applications Developer positions available. Both are described at http://www.hr.uconn.edu/employment_services/jobs-ntp.html
Programmer Analyst II (UCP VIII)
Applications Developer - DPT
University of Connecticut Libraries
The University of Connecticut Libraries is seeking an Applications Developer. As a member of the Digital Programs Team and under the direction of the Digital Programs Team Leader, the Applications Developer provides programming support for UConn’s local digital collections workflows, including data-driven planning, capture, metadata handling, efficient and effective discovery tools, and enabling archival master file storage toward a trusted digital repository, all conformant with the best practices of cultural heritage and higher education institutions. The incumbent provides programming, research, and development for digital collections, so that the UConn Libraries can fulfill related strategic objectives in support of the University’s Academic Plan. Within a project management environment, the Applications Developer defines, develops, tests, analyzes, and maintains new software and Web applications that support the creation and maintenance of Library information resources and services. With growing collections of diverse digital content, including text, maps and geospatial data, photographs, and other information objects, the next level of growth for UConn will be significant progress toward semantically integrating these resources by means of creative—yet standards-compliant—applications, which the incumbent will play a critical role in developing. The incumbent is responsible for creating applications and for assisting others in developing and implementing Web resources and services that are well integrated into the current information server environment.
The Applications Developer works with the Digital Projects Librarian, the Digital Integration Librarian, the Preservation Librarian, the Libraries’ Webmaster, and the IT team to provide customized tools for creating and managing collection and access services in the University of Connecticut Libraries and to provide leadership in the collaborative process to develop innovative access and delivery of the Libraries’ digital resources.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or five years of programming experience in a progressively responsible position in lieu of a degree.
2. Two to three years programming experience; this is in addition to the five years programming experience accepted in lieu of a degree.
3. Demonstrated experience independently analyzing and translating assigned specifications into operating programs and preparing detailed program documentation.
4. Demonstrated experience in analytical reasoning and logical problem solving.
5. Good written communication skills.
1. Knowledge of and experience with web server technologies (for example: Apache, IIS, SSH/SFTP) and related protocols and services.
3. Proficiency in relational database design and application of SQL for querying and set retrieval.
4. Demonstrated expertise with an XML schema relevant to Digital Collections (such as: DIDL, Dublin Core, EAD, KML, MARCXML, METS, MODS, ONIX, PREMIS, or TEI).
5. Experience with XSL, XSLT and XPath.
6. Experience with data manipulation and conversion.
7. Dual proficiency with both Windows as well as UNIX/Linux Operating System environments.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. University benefits include 22 paid vacation days/year, 12 paid State holidays, health and retirement plans, and tuition reimbursement.
Application Procedures: Submit a letter of application (indicating search number), resume and the names, address, and telephone numbers of three professional references to: Marian Farley, Assistant Vice Provost for University Libraries, University of Connecticut Libraries, 369 Fairfield Way, Unit 2005A, Storrs, CT 06269-2005. Screening will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. (Search #2010203)
Webmaster & Systems Librarian
University of Connecticut Libraries
369 Fairfield Way U-2005-05SY
Storrs, CT 06269-2005
Voice: (860) 486-6494
Fax: (860) 486-2407