Digital Initiatives Librarian
Leg #54836 / 1.00 FTE
Florida State University Libraries
RANK: Associate Librarian (Class Code 9054)
DESCRIPTION: This position reports to the Assistant Director for Library Technology and is responsible for managing the Florida State University Libraries’ Digital Library and Media Center (DLMC) and providing outreach services that promote the creation of digital content on the FSU campus. The successful candidate will be able to plan, implement, and evaluate digital library projects.
The position will collaborate with faculty and others on digital library initiatives including scholarly communication. Working closely with the office of graduate studies, graduate students, faculty, and serving as chair and providing leadership for the University Libraries’ Digital Library Advisory Committee, the position will provide instruction on digital technologies and standards; and seek grant funding to support creation of digital library initiatives. The position will assist graduate students and faculty with digital library project design and management; becoming a recognized resource person for the FSU campus. The successful candidate will also provide a strategic vision for the future of Digital Libraries at FSU and within the sphere of higher education.
The position supervises the digital library component of the FSU Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD) Project which is part of the University Libraries’ Digital Library and Media Center and will provide management for ETD online delivery and data backup. Will work with the Media Services Librarian, the office of graduate studies, and FSU’s Users Services Group to train graduate students in the creation of ETD documents within the DLMC and to promote the open access initiatives provided by ETD’s.
The Florida State University Libraries are members of ARL, ASERL,CRL, RLG, OCLC, SOLINET, SPARC, CNI, and NISO and are currently migrating to the Ex Libris Aleph integrated library system while working to build a digital library that will enhance scholarly communication within the Florida State University, the State of Florida, and the world.
• 2-3 yrs demonstrated successful experience in some aspect of higher education.
• Previous experience with higher education or academic information technology environment.
• Must be familiar with the digital library environment which includes database architecture, meta-data standards including Open Archives Initiative (OAI) protocols, and Web delivery of information including knowledge of SGML/XML/HTML, Scripting Languages (Perl/PHP,CGI), Unix/Linux/Windows OS, and Apache/IIS Web Server.
• Substantial knowledge of digital library technologies, standards, and best practices.
• Knowledge of usability assessment of digital collections.
• Knowledgeable with digital archival methodology and intellectual property/copyright issues.
• Must be able to serve as a knowledge source for the University Libraries and the Assistant Director of Library Technology on current digital library practices.
• Must be able to serve as the primary source to communicate both on campus and in national settings the digital library initiatives of the Florida State University Libraries .
• Proven leadership skills and the ability to deliver projects.
• Experience with grant development and leadership having served as part of a successful Digital Library Grant Team.
• Creative problem solving and analytical skills.
SALARY: $42,500 - $46,000, negotiable depending on qualifications.
BENEFITS: This is a full-time, 12-month non-tenured faculty appointment. Benefits include 22 days’ vacation, 13 days’ sick leave, group, medical, dental, and life insurance, an optional retirement program or state retirement, and no state or local income tax. With supervisor’s approval, may qualify for University tuition scholarships for up to six hours credit each semester.
THE LIBRARY: Located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida’s capital city, a growing community with a population of more than 215,000, the Florida State University, a public, coeducational institution of the 11-member State University System of Florida, has an enrollment of over 33,000 students. The Library system includes the Robert Manning Strozier Library (the main library), Paul A.M. Dirac Science Library, Mildred and Claude Pepper Library, Harold Goldstein Library Science Library, Warren D. Allen Music Library, Law Library, College of Medicine Library, John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art Library, and a variety of subject based Library Resource Reading Rooms. Campus libraries have combined volume holdings totaling over 10.5 million books, periodicals, government documents, and electronic resources. The Library is a member of ARL, ASERL, CRL, RLG, OCLC, and SOLINET and are working to build a digital library that will enhance scholarly communication within the Florida State University, the state of Florida, and the world.
For more information about the Florida State University Libraries, see our website at: http://www.fsu.edu/~library/.
To see the job description go to http://www.fsu.edu/~library/jobs/index.html
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Will accept applications until position is filled.
TO APPLY: Send letter of application, resume, and the names, e-mail addresses, regular mail addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references to:
Pamela Byrd, Administrative Services Coordinator
Florida State University
Tallahassee, Fl 32306-2047
Phone: (850) 644-5870
Fax: (850) 644-5016
Robert H. McDonald
Media Center Director
Florida State University
105 Dogwood Way
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047