Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

OsgExp 1.0.1 not exporting materials?

Help
Davor
2011-12-16
2013-05-30
  • Davor
    Davor
    2011-12-16

Hello.

So the thing is, I'm using osgExp 1.0.1. with 3dsMax 2012 and this is what happens.

This is how the model looks in 3dsMax 2012:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7324/chess1.png

Then I use osgExp 1.0.1. with these settings:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6954/chess2.png

I have tried a variation of these settings but the export only gets worse.

And this is how it looks exported to .ive:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4508/chess3h.png

As you can see, materials and practically everything is missing.

Do you have any ideas why this is happening and how to fix this? I'm using this for a project in osgART, if i export into .3DS format the chessboard looks good, but all the figures are white. Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

• Umer
    Umer
    2011-12-16

Hi igman,

have you ever exported 3D models earlier with textures successfully, and did it work?
    If yes, have done it this time the same way?
    How ever, I´m using 3DSMax-R2011 with osgExporter, if you provide me the model+textures, I can give it try for you.

Greetings

• Davor
    Davor
    2011-12-16

Hey fxworker

I have not exported anything with 3dsMax 2012 since I just installed it a few days back, and there are no textures as far as I'm aware, just materials. Would the project file be enough or should I upload something else? I'm pretty new to 3dsMax :)

Thank you for your response

• Umer
    Umer
    2011-12-16

Well, the 3DSMax "generated" Materials (like Checker-Material) will not be exported and displayed as it is shown in 3DSMax.
    Create a Bitmap-File and use it as a diffuse-map (in the Material), then assign it to the object and then export the 3D-Model.
    This way the texture will also be exported correctly and you will see the chess texture accordingly.

• Davor
    Davor
    2011-12-17

Hm, the chessboard materials are two kinds of wood, not checker, not sure if that makes a difference. Could you please clarify how to create a bitmap and use it as a diffuse map? Also, if you are still willing to try and export the model on your system, here is the uploaded project file. If something else needs to be uploaded just let me know. Thank you

http://www.2shared.com/file/g8KpIxC4/MyChessboard.html

• Umer
    Umer
    2011-12-18

Wood-Material (of Max) or Checker is the same.
    Well, I tried to open your Max-File, unfortunately I´m using 3DSMax-R2010, so I could not open it.
    If you want to, I could show it to you over Teamviewer fastly, should take just few minutes.
    Tell me your Skype-Contact to arrange a time and contact me via the contact-form on www.fxworks.de
    This would be the fastest way to show you how I works and you´d learn at most this way.

Greetings

• Davor
    Davor
    2011-12-20

Okay, thank you very much, I'll contact you as soon as i find the time!

• Davor
    Davor
    2012-03-08

Hello again!

I'm sorry for not responding for such a long time, various events forced me to forget this project for quite a while. It's back on track now though, and I'm a bit more experienced.

If I'm not mistaken, fxworked, you suggested I baked the texture? I have tried to render to textore some standard maps ( standard blinn with standard marble ). It renders fine, then I rendered it to texture ( saved the unwrapped UVW for later appliance ) to a bmp, and loaded it as a material. Then loaded the UVW for the model and assigned the material for whose diffusal color i set the bmp file. Oh and yes, this has all been done for a single piece ( the rook ). Once again, renders great, but when exported to .ive i get no improvement. Then I tried exporting to .3DS, which shows some results ( the rook seems to be glossier and of different material than the rest ) but still no marble effect.

If you have the will to respond whether I've done something incorrectly, understood you wrong or if there is a 3D format which would better suit this scenario, I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance!

• Davor
    Davor
    2012-03-08

Quick update, about 10 minutes after posting my last post I removed all current materials and went from scratch. Somehow I managed to bake the marble effect onto the rook and the .3ds exported file shows it correctly!

I'll keep in touch, thank you anyway!