resource hog - Apache.exe

Apache
2009-01-23
2013-06-05
  • Carlos Ricci
    Carlos Ricci
    2009-01-23

I installed OrangeHRM to try it out but during the installation my machine started to slow to a crawl. \when it was done and after a reboot, I found that the system was frequently locking up. When I opened Task Manager, I found that apache.exe was taking near 100% of CPU time and that there were 3 copies running. And this was still without running OrangeHRM.

Why is Apache needed and why is it such a resource hog? I don't need my HRM online, I only wanted to try it on one machine for keeping track of empoyee hours, pay, etc.

Now that I know Apache was installed as part of OrangeHRM and the cause of my troubles, I have uninstalled OrangeHRM without even trying it.

• teresa
      teresa
      2009-04-08

Hi,

Since OrangeHRM is a web application, it needs some sort of a web server to run. If you have problems with Apache, I think you should try a manual installation.

If you are using Microsoft Windows, you may probably have IIS in-built with your OS. You can install the latest PHP runtime from http://www.php.net and MySQL server (both comes with Windows Installer packages), and then try to install OrangeHRM by extracting the release archive a directory in your web server, and running the web installer.

Good luck.. Keep us updated with the latest...

• Mafaz Mazeen
      Mafaz Mazeen
      2009-07-16

I don't need a web application. All I wanted was an app to keep track of employee records and hours on the computer (where we currently have no internet).

whether i use Apache or not, why would it take 100% of CPU resources?

• Mafaz Mazeen
      Mafaz Mazeen
      2009-07-16

n0ukf,
      It shouldn't use 100% of CPU resources (assuming you have a reasonably modern processor, enough RAM, etc of course). As an example: I am hosting an OrangeHRM test system on my notebook PC and accessing it through Firefox on that same PC - a basic 1.2Ghz processor with 2Gb of RAM. With OrangeHRM running, there are two apache.exe processes running taking a total of 45Mb RAM. CPU use is nil unless I am performing an action in OrangeHRM, when it peaks at 16% for typical tasks. If you're hitting 100% constantly then either your computer's not up to the task, or there's some conflict going on with the installed Apache software.

As has already been pointed out, Apache is needed because OrangeHRM is a web application - this means you can do useful and time-saving things like have employees book leave, log in their time sheets, or update their contact details, in their web browser over the network. Saves a heap of paper, too. There's not an installer for single-PC purposes because a lot of the features of OrangeHRM are targeted at assisting multiple-user environments. The OHRM team is already very busy making improvements to one product without having to maintain two. :) Nevertheless, it is possible to run OrangeHRM on a single PC, and most people don't experience the issue that you are experiencing.

In your case, you say you have no internet; you may be interested to know that even without internet, if your computers are networked together (do they share files and/or printers?) they can share OrangeHRM too, through their normal web browsers.

So that you have a better idea of whether OrangeHRM is right for your needs, and whether you need to invest the time getting it set up to work for you, I suggest you try the online demo that's available - you don't need to install anything at all to try it out. Go to http://orangehrm.com/demo.shtml - the password is already entered for you, and with one click you can see OrangeHRM in action!

Regards,
      BruceC

• Mafaz Mazeen
      Mafaz Mazeen
      2009-07-16

Or, if you want some other options:
      Click2Try: http://www.click2try.com/catalog/Human- ... RM/details
      Has a range on online Virtual Machines that you can use to try out software on their servers, before you install it on your own computer. (Takes some time to load, but much faster than installing various packages to evaluate them, and you don't need to have any technical background to do so...) An added benefit is that there's easy-to-follow help instructions on the left hand side to walk you through the typical tasks you'd do in OrangeHRM.

JumpBox: http://www.jumpbox.com/app/orangehrm
      Lets you download a full Virtual Machine to try out an application on your own hardware, without the hassles of configuration. (You will need to have a VM player for this...) or you can click on the button "Trial this JumpBox" to get a free online test system, similar to Click2Try.

Finally, just a note to say that OrangeHRM is probably worth your time to investigate. Hey, it's worth my time to write this response to you for them, and I'm just another user! You'll find there's very few low cost solutions for this sort of purpose, and most of the other ones out there don't have the functions, quality or reliability of OrangeHRM... and OrangeHRM keeps getting better.

BruceC

• Mafaz Mazeen
      Mafaz Mazeen
      2009-08-03

This is a very small business and for the foreseeable future we have only one computer, its main purpose at the moment being playing mp3s throughout the store (instead of having to change discs in a CD player every hour or less). Even if we add another computer, I find it unlikely that we'd need more than one of them to access OHRM or any similar app. The current specs are Sempron 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, and WinXP Home sp3.

• Mafaz Mazeen
      Mafaz Mazeen
      2009-08-03

Yes, that should run for you without problems on that PC playing MP3s. I haven't tried using XAMPP on Win XP Home, only on Win XP Pro SP2 & SP3 (on both of which it has worked fine for me) and I would expect that it would work fine on Win XP Home too.

Did you play with any settings during or after the installation of the Apache server (or XAMPP, which it's a part of)? If not, it should just work on a normal install and if there was a compatibility problem I'd expect that these forums would be full of help requests/complaints about Apache topping out the CPU usage. So, I'd say the most likely thing would be a conflict with other software on your PC. If you have IIS (a Microsoft web server) installed I'd expect problems for instance.

You could try installing again and see if you still have a problem; or you could track down a different alternative to XAMPP (Apache Tomcat etc for instance) to act as your webserver, and install OrangeHRM on to that.

If you've checked one of those online demos out, and you know you want to use OrangeHRM, then it's probably worthwhile just getting over this installation problem in order to have the system you need.

Cheers
      BruceC

• When I opened Task Manager, I found that apache.exe was taking near 100% of CPU time and that there were 3 copies running. And this was still without running OrangeHRM.

• The best way to identify the problem is to install orangehrm.exe in another pc and check the resource consumption. This can be due to several reasons, One reason is, there can be a malware or virus running in the background which activates once the apache is running. there are load of information on this topic you can search the issue with apache consuming 100% cpu.

• I think you have tried to install apache 3 times, this is the reason for having 3 instances of apache running . Try uninstalling all the 3, or do a systems restore. Then do a fresh orangehrm installation. (back up data before trying any system restore or re-installation )

• This is a very small business and for the foreseeable future we have only one computer, its main purpose at the moment being playing mp3s throughout the store (instead of having to change discs in a CD player every hour or less). Even if we add another computer, I find it unlikely that we'd need more than one of them to access OHRM or any similar app. The current specs are Sempron 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, and WinXP Home sp3 .