Configurable User Rights

OrangeHRM
2010-02-16
2013-06-05
  • Mafaz Mazeen
    Mafaz Mazeen
    2010-02-16

Hello all,

We are going to add Configurable User Rights Feature in OrangeHRM :)

Here are the Requirement Specifications

We are looking forward for your suggestions and comments :)

Regards,
    Aisha

• Mafaz Mazeen
    Mafaz Mazeen
    2010-03-23

This is a nicely defined feature. Having configurable user rights would no doubt be very valuable. A lot of users had requested for this feature.

After reviewing this specification, I have a few comments based on which we can further improve the feature:

If I understood right, this suggests the use of a generic user group for both ESS and Admin users. User groups could be created with many different user rights. One disadvantage of this approach is that an ESS user could be assigned to a user group which has user rights that we typically call admin rights (e.g. create and modify company structure), and an Admin user can be created with limited rights equivalent to that of an ESS user. Although we expect the user not to do that, the system would not prevent it. This may make the concept of Admin and ESS users redundant in OrangeHRM, and instead we may have to use the concept of just "User" who may be assigned to a user group with specific user rights where there can be many possible user groups with varying rights.

However my suggested approach would result in the additional complexity of being forced to define complex user rights, as opposed to using the pre-defined Admin and ESS user rights. To overcome this, we could consider having Admin and ESS and pre-defined user groups in the system to which new users could be assigned.

An alternative approach is to make it possible to have 2 types of user groups: Admin Groups, and ESS Groups, where ESS Groups would only have access to a predefined sub-set of features. This way it would be possible to have different configurable rights for ESS users within the defined boundary of an ESS user.

I would like to see more discussion on this.

Thanks.
    Himath

• Mafaz Mazeen
    Mafaz Mazeen
    2010-03-23

Overall this seems to be OK,

Following are some improvements I can suggest.

Include the behavior for Project Administrators and Supervisors.
    Supervisors will see their own ess user tab and the PIM tab. in the PIM they will see their subordinates.
    For supervisors need to defined the rules separately for PIM and ess tab

In the mockup, essuer tab is not shown : Basically a pure essuer logged into the system he/she only see the ess user tab(not the PIM tab).

• Mafaz Mazeen
    Mafaz Mazeen
    2010-04-06

Thank you for the valuable suggestions himath and zanfer.

I have updated Requirement Specifications according to your suggestions.

Regards,
    Aisha

• Intellect is the most customer-configurable, rapidly deployed system available on the market today. It is configured to meet the needs of any type of organization.

• This is a nicely defined feature. Having configurable user rights would no doubt be very valuable. A lot of users had requested for this feature.

After reviewing this specification, I have a few comments based on which we can further improve the feature:

If I understood right, this suggests the use of a generic user group for both ESS and Admin users. User groups could be created with many different user rights. One disadvantage of this approach is that an ESS user could be assigned to a user group which has user rights that we typically call admin rights (e.g. create and modify company structure), and an Admin user can be created with limited rights equivalent to that of an ESS user. Although we expect the user not to do that, the system would not prevent it. This may make the concept of Admin and ESS users redundant in OrangeHRM, and instead we may have to use the concept of just "User" who may be assigned to a user group with specific user rights where there can be many possible user groups with varying rights.

However my suggested approach would result in the additional complexity of being forced to define complex user rights, as opposed to using the pre-defined Admin and ESS user rights. To overcome this, we could consider having Admin and ESS and pre-defined user groups in the system to which new users could be assigned.

An alternative approach is to make it possible to have 2 types of user groups: Admin Groups, and ESS Groups, where ESS Groups would only have access to a predefined sub-set of features. This way it would be possible to have different configurable rights for ESS users within the defined boundary of an ESS user.

I would like to see more discussion on this.

Thanks.
    Himath
    Thanks you for the post.

• I understood right, this suggests the use of a generic user group for both ESS and Admin users. User groups could be created with many different user rights. One disadvantage of this approach is that an ESS user could be assigned to a user group which has user rights that we typically call admin rights (e.g. create and modify company structure), and an Admin user can be created with limited rights equivalent to that of an ESS user. Although we expect the user not to do that, the system would not prevent it. This may make the concept of Admin and ESS users redundant in OrangeHRM, and instead we may have to use the concept of just "User" who may be assigned to a user group with specific user rights where there can be many possible user groups with varying rights.

• An alternative approach is to make it possible to have 2 types of user groups: Admin Groups, and ESS Groups, where ESS Groups would only have access to a predefined sub-set of features. This way it would be possible to have different configurable rights for ESS users within the defined boundary of an ESS user.