Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Quick and dirty FAQ

Help
2009-10-01
2013-04-22
  • Michael armijo
    Michael armijo
    2009-10-01

I'm going to post my Quick and Dirty Faq in hopes that some people find it helpful.  Maybe someone can add it to the wiki.

Zipit z2 Linux install guide.

Thanks to Hunter Davis!

For those following along at home, the required setup artifacts are below. You will need

* Your zipit z2
        * A linux computer with an internet connection (to download the packages below) and gparted installed
    _ -Mcavity
        * A miniSD card

Do you have everything ready? Let’s get to it!

1. Head over to http://sourceforge.net/projects/openzipit and downloaded the autoflasher
       2. Download Aliosa27’s new kernel image and userland here: http://aliosa27.net/projects/zipit2/zipit2-audio+x+mouse.gz
       3. Grab the latest mouse emu from here: http://aliosa27.net/projects/zipit2/z2mouseemu
       4. Using Gparted, Format your miniSD to a fat16 partition (I did 300 megs but you really need much less than 100
       5. Extract the autoflasher to the fat16 partition
       6. (as root)Extract the kernel + userland image somewhere on your pc
       7. From the extracted files, copy out the ./boot/zImage-2.6.29 to the root of your microSD as kernel.bin
       8. Boot the Z2 and allow it to flash and reboot to the new Linux logo
       9. This will also make a copy of your original kernel and wifi firmware, copy them off the microSD somewhere safe.
      10. Using Gparted, Format the microSD into 2 new partitions, ext2 (the majority of the card) and swap (the remaining 256 megs)
      11. Copy the previously extracted files and directorys from zipit2-audio+x+mouse to the root of your microSD.
      12. Rename and copy the wifi firmware back to the Z2 from the backup of the miniSD, as described here

OpenZip-It Usage.

Keyboard mapping

Tab is the big “Z” button at the top middle of the keyboard. Prev/Next is mapped to pageup/pagedown, and the “…” key is Control.

Mouse Emulation

Left click is the stop button

Volume setting

To get the max volume, you can use alsamixer to increase the speaker output (last page, scroll right) but it sounds terrible past 92 or so.

Shortcuts

The default hotkeys for fluxbox are Alt-t = terminal, Alt-m = maximize, Alt-f = fullscreen, Alt-c = close, Alt-i = minimize.

Applications
    This space for Know Basic applications.

Mplayer  plays media files.

Common commands

ls Directory listing
    cd change directory

shutdown -h now = shutdown 

Network setup

iwconfig eth0 essid "ssid"
    ifconfig eht0 192.168.0.16 netmask 255.255.255.0

/I will correct and add mroe Info as I learn.
    _

• Michael armijo
    Michael armijo
    2009-10-01

First Edit
    Zipit networking With DHCP on unprotected wireless network.

iwconfig eth0 essid "ssid"  :

udhcpc

• Michael armijo
    Michael armijo
    2009-10-02

Few more Tips to put into the faq.
    Linux wireless commands .

To scan for local access points
    root@zipit2:~# iwlist eth0 scanning | grep 'ESSID'

To connect to an access point

root@zipit2:~# iwconfig eth0 essid "name"

To run dhcp

root@zipit2:~# udhcpc

That should get you online as long as your not running wpa

• Denis Dimick
    Denis Dimick
    2009-10-06

I found that the easiest way to get wireless was:
    iwconfig eth0 essid ESSID - ESSID is the essid of the network you want to join. Then run udhcpc.

So a script would look like this:

iwconfig eth0 essid My_Network;
    udhcpc

Denis