Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Macintosh version

2008-01-27
2013-04-15
  • Greg Kearney
    Greg Kearney
    2008-01-27

Could there please be a Macintosh version for MS Office 08 provided. We should alway remember that we are not living in a Windows Only world.

• senthil
      senthil
      2008-01-29

Hi Greg

Thanx for your intrest on this product.

In this release, We have targeted Windows Vista, Windows 2003, Windows XP environments.

We will take your request in the future releases.

Thanx
      -Senthil

• Syed
      Syed
      2008-01-30

Hi Greg,

Adding further to what Senthil has said...

Our design is basically to translate from one standard XML(Office Open XML)available to another standard XML (DAISY) using XSLT. Therefore, we can achieve platform independednt translator with less effort.

Regards,
      Syed

• Reed  Shaffner
      Reed Shaffner
      2008-01-30

Hey Greg,

This is Reed Shaffner, I am the project director on this from the Microsoft end.  Per your request I will reach out to our mac team and see what we can do to get them involved.  Like Syed called out, this was built with the intention that people would take the code and port it to a variety of OS's.  We chose to implement the sample on Windows and Office for Windows but because we built it on .NET (which is now completely open) and Open XML (also open) it should be easy for people to build this anywhere that Open XML is supported, which includes Macintosh.

I will loop back with updates from their team.

Cheers,

Reed

• Daniel WECK
      Daniel WECK
      2008-02-22

@[Greg Kearney]: I posted a feature request a while back, entitled "[1880630] Build for Mac OS X". I got similar comments to those in this forum thread (not a priority now). Here's the link to the entry in the issue tracker: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1880630&group_id=208610&atid=1006388

@[Reed Shaffner]: As far as I understand, .NET 3.5 is not "completely open". At least it's a fact from my open-source developer viewpoint. The source code is merely provided as a measure to allow developers to navigate the SDK code while debugging (read-only). Microsoft's .NET code cannot be re-used to implement a fully compatible software stack on Mac OS X or Linux, so we are still stuck with Mono for now (which is good, but not as great as having a truly cross-platform complete .NET runtime).

Even if most of the code for "save as DAISY" is pure-XSLT transformations (without proprietary extensions), there are still UI and worflow features that are dependent on the Windows-only version of Word (which is a totally separate implementation to the Mac OS X version of Word). So I guess all we can do now is wait and hope.

Kind regards to you all.
      Daniel.