Error compiling newlib

Help
2004-10-07
2013-04-25
  • Jesus Garcia
    Jesus Garcia
    2004-10-07

I followed the installation instructions on openxdk.org.<p>

I installed the latest cygwin with automake, autoconf, binutils, and the rest of the gcc toolchain.<p>

I then installed downloaded OpenXDK 0.04, and ran the ./install.sh script.<p>

The configure scripts ran, the the libraries started to compile. Everything was running smoothly, untill I reached the newlib directories.<p>

Bellow is a clipping of the generated error:<br>
    Making all in argz<br>
    make[4]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/oxdk/OpenXDK/src/newlib-1.12.0/i386-pc-xbox/newlib/libc/argz'i386-pc-xbox-gcc -B/cygdrive/c/source/workspaceEclipse/OpenXDK/src/newlib-1.12.0/i386-pc-xbox/newlib/ -isystem /cygdrive/c/source/workspaceEclipse/OpenXDK/src/n
    ewlib-1.12.0/i386-pc-xbox/newlib/targ-include -isystem /cygdrive/c/source/worksp
    aceEclipse/OpenXDK/src/newlib-1.12.0/newlib/libc/include -DPACKAGE=\&quot;newlib\&quot; -D
    VERSION=\&quot;1.12.0\&quot;  -I. -I../../../.././newlib/libc/argz  -O2 -D_COMPILING_NEWLI
    B -mno-cygwin -DMISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES -fno-builtin    -O2 -g -O2  -O2 -g -O2 -c
    ../../../.././newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:13: error: parse error before "_DEFUN"
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:13: error: parse error before '(' token
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:19: error: `argz_len' undeclared here (n
    ot in a function)
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:21: error: parse error before "if"
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:24: error: `str' undeclared here (not in
    a function)
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:24: error: initializer element is not co
    nstant
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:24: warning: data definition has no type
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:25: error: parse error before '+=' token
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:30: error: parse error before '*' token
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:30: error: conflicting types for `memcpy
    '
    /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include/string.h:38: error: previous declaration of `memcpy
    '
    ../../../../newlib/libc/argz/argz_add.c:30: warning: data definition has no type
    or storage class
    make[4]: *** [argz_add.o] Error 1

Please help, thanks<br>
    -J

• Craig Edwards
      Craig Edwards
      2004-10-07

Yeah.... sorry about that.  I inadvertantly checked in some automake/autoconf files that may be causing this error.  Please get the latest code.

Note that I have also created a binary package that may be of assistance for those who can't/don't want to go through the newlib compilation process.  Hope that helps.

--
      Craig