Help
bob1122
2004-11-17
2013-04-25
  • bob1122
    bob1122
    2004-11-17

I have programed with Delpi and C# .net
    ad i was wondering, what do i do with the files i just downloaded?

• Craig Edwards
      Craig Edwards
      2004-11-17

I would suggest three things:

- Read the doco on http://www.openxdk.org
      - Have a look at the Sample programs provided
      - Work out what development environment you want (I recommend Eclipse with the CDT), but you can get by just fine with the command line

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away.

--
      Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-11-18

what compiller do u use for it

• Craig Edwards
      Craig Edwards
      2004-11-18

I personally use Cygwin gcc, however, the current code in CVS also supports mingw on both Windows and Linux. 

--
      Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-11-18

where do i find Cygwin gcc?

• alheim
        alheim
        2004-11-18

Hi,

www.cygwin.com/ ... Google is your friend :)
        You have a download section.
        1- Get the setup executable
        2- Run it and select dowload to get binaries
        3- Once the binaries are on your computer, run the setup again, choose local mode, select the directories when the packages have been downloaded and all the packages will be installed.
        4- Enjoy !

AlHeim

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-11-19

ok in the instructions that i read at openxdk it says to do some think like ./install-sh is that for linux or something cause my dos just pops up som think asking me what to run it with...

and it says to use eclipse
      but when i try to install c++ thingy i get some error saying it cant find plugin

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-11-19

Did you read the documentation thoroughly?  On http://www.openxdk.org/installing.html it gives you the URL to download the CDT from.  Note that you don't actually *need* Eclipse/CDT... you can just compile from the command line.  I just personally like and use the Eclipse environment.

The same page also says that the install.sh program should be run from a bash shell.  If you have set Cygwin up to be in your path, you can just type bash at the command prompt.  Otherwise, try double clicking on the Cygwin icon (I think one gets installed on your desktop by default).

--
        Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-11-20

ok sorry i was being dumb
      but now i have another problem
      its says :
      checking for a BSD compatiable install.... /usr/bin/install -c cc: not found
      *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
      *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler OpenXDK - Compiling xboxkrnl...
      ./install.sh: line 30: make: command not found
      OpenXDK - Compiling newlib
      ./install.sh: line 35: make: command not found
      OpenXDK - Compiling hal...
      ./install.sh: line 40: make: command not found
      OpenXDK - Compiling openxdk..
      ./install.sh: line 45: make: command not found
      OpenXDK - Compiling usb...
      ./install.sh: line 50: make: command not found
      OpenXDK - Compiling SDL...
      ./install.sh: line 55: make: command not found
      OpenXDK - Finished

So am i finished? how do i start using examples and makein my own?

Thanks for trying to put up with me

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-11-20

Ummm... no, you are not quite finished yet.  See those lines that say the compilation can't find 'make' and 'cc'?  They are important and give a pretty good indication that, for whatever reason, you haven't installed everything from Cygwin correctly.  My guess is that you have only installed the Cygwin user libraries, and not the development libraries.  Rerun your Cygwin setup.exe and download the development libraries.

The fact that you need gcc, binutils, automake, and autoconf is clearly documented at http://www.openxdk.org/installing.html  Please go back and re-read that page...

I am happy to help you with any OpenXDK problems you have, but you will need to get yourself in a position where you are comfortable compiling gcc programs before progressing onto compiling applications using the OpenXDK.  Perhaps you should first find a tutorial on how to use the Cygwin development environment.

Cheers,
        Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-11-20

p.s. what about my plugin question
      "and it says to use eclipse
      but when i try to install c++ thingy i get some error saying it cant find plugin"???

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-11-20

You don't say what version of Eclipse you have installed, you don't say what version of CDT you are trying to install, and you don't say what the exact error message is... I'm not sure how anyone can help you with that problem.

All I know is that I use Eclipse V3 and CDT V2.  Perhaps you might have more luck if you ask about this problem on the Eclipse/CDT mailing lists.However, if I might suggest something... you might want to try and give them a bit more information about what is happening on your side of things.

Good luck,
        Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-12-03

ok so i think i installed it how do i know if i did?

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-12-03

Help me out here... I need a clue!  What is it you think you have installed?  Cygwin?  Eclipse?  CDT?  OpenXDK?

Assuming you mean OpenXDK, you still don't provide enough information.  Did you try to install from the source ZIP file, the binary ZIP file, or by downloading the HEAD from CVS?

The documentation at http://www.openxdk.org/installing.html quite clearly gives you instructions on how to check whether the installation has worked or not.  Please read that page... I didn't type it in just for fun!!

I am happy to try and help you out, but you need to help me help you by reading the provided documentation.

--
        Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-12-03

ok i just installed VS6.0, cygwin, and downloaded the OpenXDK (lets make that oXDK for short) and i went in bash shell and installed oXDK so now i have oXDK installed ( i think, something allways goes wrong for me :) and VS6.0 (with C++) so now what do i do? i did read the documentation but i dont understand it, could someone please post a installed oXDK folder (the one in cygwin/usr/local/openxdk) for download  (if your worried about space ill give u a gmail but sf offers some). the documentation seems to be directed to someone who has installed it before or has done this kind of Linux stuff which i have not

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-12-03

Well... you won't need your VC6 compiler.  The only supported compilers are Cygwin and Mingw... if you are a VC expert, you *might* be able to get it to link against the OpenXDK libraries, but I have never tested it (and at this stage, I can't see that changing).

A copy of the installed OpenXDK directory (this is referred to as a 'binary distribution') can be found at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openxdk/OpenXDK_0_05_bin.zip?download  That should also answer your other question about the difference between the 'src' and 'bin' distributions.

Anyway, now that you have installed the OpenXDK libraries, you have to write a program that uses them.  There are a number of such programs in the Samples ZIP file (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openxdk/Samples_0_05.zip?download).  The simplest one is probably reboot.c (and look at the makefile to see what flags you need).

--
        Craig

• James Gale
          James Gale
          2004-12-03

Just if your interested i used to have openxdk running fine with my copy of vc6.  I have a howto .txt file for it somewhere on my computer.

It was probably 3-6 months ago though so i'm not sure if the project has changed since then and it won't work now.

• Craig Edwards
            Craig Edwards
            2004-12-04

The previous version (before I got involved) used to use the Microsoft compilers.  However, to support newlib (libc replacement), I had to switch to the gcc-based compilers.

--
            Craig

• James Gale
              James Gale
              2004-12-04

Ahh right.  I was using it with libc so i'm probably no use then :)

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-12-03

p.s. i downloaded the src because in your documentation it says to get src files whats the difference between src and bin?

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-12-03

how do i compile??? like what comand do i use please remember i have never used this type of invironment!

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-12-04

From a bash shell, change to the Samples directory and type 'make' (without the quotes).  If you have installed the OpenXDK libraries correctly, then they should all compile with no errors or warnings.

I am happy to help you with any OpenXDK questions you may have, but unfortunately, I don't have the time or ability to help you in understanding how the Cygwin tools work in general.  Perhaps you might want to find a good Cygwin/gcc tutorial on the web and read that.... it will make the OpenXDK instructions make much more sense.

--
        Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-12-04

ok well as something allways goes wrong this is what has gone wrong for me ....

i dont know if source forge can suport pics by users so il give u guys links to the pics;

http://www.tecksales.net/problem1.JPG
      http://www.tecksales.net/problem2.JPG

there ya go hope you can help me :(

• Craig Edwards
        Craig Edwards
        2004-12-05

If I recall, I believe that the Samples package comes object and executables already compiled.  If you want to recompile them, do the following:

make clean
        make all

BTW, have you found a cygwin tutorial like I suggested?  This is very basic gcc/cygwin behaviour...

As to the other problem, I am not sure I can help. As far as I know, cc1 is a private executable used by gcc (the bit that actually does the compilation).  This is a cygwin error that I am probably not going to be much help with... have you googled for that error message?

--
        Craig

• bob1122
      bob1122
      2004-12-05

oh crap looks like some asshole is DDoS ing me fuck faggets.... sorry bad launguage... o wait edit it s back up