<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • of course!

• pigbar
    pigbar
    2009-07-18

e. Build-in navigation and security 
    - No portal required
    - If you use portal, you can have the application in one portlet

Ese me parece un paso necesario y seria de utilidad en muchos escenarios.

• What about the possibility of defining charts using annotations. For example using jFreeChart as the engine?

• Javier Paniza
        Javier Paniza
        2009-07-22

Hola Federico,

> What about the possibility of defining charts using annotations. For example using jFreeChart as the engine?
        I think that integrate jFreeChart with OX is a very good idea. Maybe, we can do so without adding new annotations, in the same way the user can generate PDF reports or export to excel without any special annotation for that.

Talk me more about your idea. Some examples of use, examples of annotations, etc.

• I think that generating it without annotations can be done by using a convention, for example, including a method (with a descriptive name) returning a Dataset. But I find that solution too limiting.
    1.On the other hand using annotations like these:
    @Charts{
      @Chart{name=xxxx, datasource=class.method, type=chartype, [size related properties], [layout related properties]}
    }
    I think that ChartCreator (a jsp wrapper) can be a good starting point for this idea.
    Now the generator for the list page can include the chart element if an annotation is found using the same rules as the others (tab, view).

2.To complete this approach it might be useful to add a controller action for charts  probably an IChartAction that can navigate to or generate a jsp.

I am willing to cooperate on that.

• Javier Paniza
      Javier Paniza
      2009-07-23

Hola Federico,

> it without annotations can be done by using a convention
      There is another option: The user can configure the chart from any entity, no matter it is annotated or not.
      My idea is that when the user click on Generate char action from list mode, the application will ask him about which type of chart want to generate, and it will have a list of all properties (as in the customize list), and it will can choose any property to be shown in the chart.
      It's just moving the work from the developer to the user. In this way the user will have more flexibility and the developer less work.
      Do you understand my idea?

> I think that ChartCreator (a jsp wrapper) can be a good starting point for this idea
      Try to create an initial prototipe with it.

> 2.To complete this approach it might be useful to add a controller action for charts
      Of course, and to include it in Typical controller.

> an IChartAction that can navigate to or generate a jsp
      At first glance I think IChartAction is not needed.

> I am willing to cooperate on that.
      If you are really willing then create a new issue in "Feature Requests"
      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=695746&group_id=123187&func=browse

I'll assign the issue to you, and we'll continue our discussion there.

Do you agree?

• > here is another option: The user can configure the chart from any entity, no matter it is annotated or not.
        Seems fine. But remember that charts are more elaborate than a report, so probably the interface to the user might include grouping functions like count, sum, average, std, etc.
        > If you are really willing then create a new issue in "Feature Requests" 
        Already done. I also requested access to the development area.

• Javier Paniza
          Javier Paniza
          2009-07-24

Hola Federico,

> Seems fine. But remember that charts are more elaborate than a report, so probably the
          > interface to the user might include grouping functions like count, sum, average, std, etc.
          I see. So, we can add the option to the developer to create his own action for generate a concrete chart. Just as in the reports case:
          http://openxava.wikispaces.com/controllers_en#toc11

So, we can 3 options:
          1. Custom action to generate custom charts: I think that this is already possible. Only adding documentation and needed jars to WEB-INF/lib
          2. Automatic chart defined by the user: As you say it is not a trivial.
          3. Automatic charts from annotatations. We have to elabore this a little more.

We can continue this discussion in the issue:
          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=695746&aid=2826082&group_id=123187

> I also requested access to the development area.
          He recibido tu correo, pero cuando te respondo mi servidor de correo dice "Failure Notice". Vuelvemelo a enviar directamente desde tu cuenta a javierpaniza arroba gestion400 punto com

• Diego Ochoa
    Diego Ochoa
    2009-07-23

Hi,

I'm reviewing and learning OX, and I think OX is a great framework!!!.

I'm learning OSGi[1]and javaRebel[2] and I think this projects can be helpful for *f. Interactive programming*.

That's my little contribution, I hope learn OX and contribute!!!

Grettings,
    Diego

[1] http://www.osgi.org/
    [2] http://www.zeroturnaround.com/javarebel/

• Javier Paniza
      Javier Paniza
      2009-07-24

Hola Diego,

> I think this projects can be helpful for *f. Interactive programming*.
      Yes, maybe. Though JavaRebel licence is not compatible with OX licence.
      The interesting thing for me is that you are interested in the "Interactive programming" feature.
      Really, when I says "Interactive programming"  I'm not thinking in optimize the time between change code and run the result (something that JavaRebel provides). That is a good improvement, and this can be achieve before OX4, or OX5.
      When I says "Interactive programming" I mean:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_programming

That is, to develop directly on the application, without Eclipse, even by the final user. Just as a wiki.

Saludos

• In order for me to start using OpenXava I would like to see a future version eliminate the "workspace + tomcat in one package" approach. It's very limiting to be dependent on an entire project file structure and server. It just make things that much harder.

I just want to hit a maven repository and create a new self contained project on the fly, run mvn eclipse:eclipse and be on my way. I also want to be able to deploy on Tomcat or any other J2EE server, not have a tomcat supplied to me.

User interface improvements are nice, but the core needs to be more standard to make the whole thing workable.

I'm basing my comments on evaluating a while back, but I didn't find any changes in the aforementioned areas from the documentation.

Cheers,

Marc

• Javier Paniza
    Javier Paniza
    2009-12-23

Hi Marc,

> In order for me to start using OpenXava I would like to see a future version eliminate the "workspace + tomcat in one package" approach. It's very limiting to be dependent on an entire project file structure and server. It just make things that much harder.

I understand your viewpoint. For a seasoned Java developer the structure of OpenXava distribution can seems a little strange. But for people new to Java world, this structure is the best I know. Thanks to the configured workspace and tomcat you can start to work in a few minutes using . In fact  where an application is developed from scratch in only 10 minutes.

Once I was giving a training course to a development team, and I ask they: why did you choose OpenXava for your company?, and they say me: "It has been the unique product we achived to setup and start with". They were Delphi programmers, with a big experience developing business applications, but not experience in Java.

It's very important that the user can start to work with OX with no extra configuration steps.

> I just want to hit a maven repository and create a new self contained project on the fly, run mvn eclipse:eclipse and be on my way.

Maven does not like much to me. Though I have to admit that it's a very popupar tool, even some people use maven with OX. Maven is not supported out of the box, but there is a . Unfortunately it is freezed, we are waiting until some guy that likes OX and maven would do it. Are you willing ?

> I also want to be able to deploy on Tomcat or any other J2EE server

The OX projects are standard Java applications, and standard Eclipse Web projects. You can deploy it where do you want. Even you can work without eclipse, using an editor and the suplied ant build. In fact, I usually deploy in AS/400 (iSeries, i5) in an WebSphere Portal my OpenXava applications. Just ignore the Tomcat included with OX.

> but the core needs to be more standard to make the whole thing workable

OX does not use maven (it uses ant), but the resulting application follow a lot of Java standard, including Portlets, EJB 1.1/2.0/3.0 (jpa), dependency injection (JSR-330, since 4m2), JSPs and use de facto starndard as hibernate, hibernate validator or jasper report. OpenXava does not use Spring and maven, because these projects does not attract me. Though some OX developers use Spring and maven in combination with OX.

Evaluate OpenXava, and if it's fit your needs, but you are more confortable with maven. I can help you to add maven support to OX, and you can contribute it back.

: http://openxava.wikispaces.com/tutorial_en
      : http://www.altainet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74:openxava-mysql-eclipse&catid=39:openxava&Itemid=133
      : https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2002015&group_id=123187&atid=695746

• > Once I was giving a training course to a development team, and I ask they: why did you choose OpenXava for your company?, and they say me: "It has been the unique product we achived to setup and start with". They were Delphi programmers, with a big experience developing business applications, but not experience in Java.

Well, conversely it would be interesting to know how many people don't use OX for the very same reason. You might be surprised. I would say that generally Java programmers like things like maven and standardized approaches. I'm surprised you don't seem to like Maven. It has made my life so much easier. I can say the same for Spring.

I can understand the bootstrapping approach but one does not need to exclude the other. You could easily create different Maven goals that generate the desired project structures.

I'm sorry to say my time is very limited right now. Which is why I was looking at OX in the first place ;-) But it's a tempting thought.

Cheers,

Marc

• Javier Paniza
    Javier Paniza
    2009-12-24

Hi Marc,

> it would be interesting to know how many people don't use OX for the very same reason

Yes, it would be. Many experienced Java programmers have used OX to generated new application, even some of them have integrated OX in their current applications. But, maybe you're right

> maven and standardized approaches

Maven is not a standard, but a very popular open source tool, just as Eclipse. Curiously the default distribution of Eclipse does not include maven

> generally Java programmers like things like maven

You're right

> I'm surprised you don't seem to like Maven

I like the next way to work: Touch code, refresh the browser. No more steps. I like to execute the junit suite from inside Eclipse, and I like to synchronize code with repository from Eclipse too. I only use ant target when I need to create a war to deploy in portal. I don't like maven because it does not simplify my way of working. I think the same for Spring. On the other hand, I like Groovy and dependency injection (in fact OX4m2 will support JSR-330). Of course, this is a personal preference, and OpenXava has not to follow my personal preferences. OX is a meritocracy, so the people willing to add code to OX, are the people that decide the new features.

> I can understand the bootstrapping approach but one does not need to exclude the other.

You're right. Would be good for OX to have mavan support. We can even prepare 2 distribution (for maven, with eclipse+tomcat) if needed.

> I'm sorry to say my time is very limited right now. Which is why I was looking at OX in the first place ;-) But it's a tempting thought.

So, evalute OX although it does not support maven. If you decide to use it surely adding maven support to OX will be something natural and inevitable for you, and them you would do a good contribution for OX with little effort. Most of the OX contributionS are little thingS that developers make to adapt OX to fit their needs, look at the .

: http://www.openxava.org/web/guest/credits

• We are adopting OpenXava as our main development platform. We can outline a few of the reasons that made us vote for OpenXava (we developed application using Seam, Struts, JSF, Richfaces and a couple more).

1. Lightweight running environment. Just need a JVM and Tomcat, that's it.
    2. Consistent UI. No matter who wrote the module, they have a consistent look and behavior without any additional effort.
    3. If you have special needs, it can be easily customizable.
    4. Very simple programming environment. No complex layers of interoperability (if something is wrong it is easy to catch).

Other reasons are: flat learning curve, easy to use/test gui design, portability, excellent running performance, extensibility, easy deployment, etc.  We were able to developed, test and put in production an application is less than two weeks (including learning to use OpenXava), The same application took us over 5 weeks using Seam (because of the testing and navigation tune up).

Hope that this comment help you decide on OpenXava

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)