Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Can I automate task ID numbers?

Les Rose
2012-07-24
2013-04-16
  • Les Rose
    Les Rose
    2012-07-24

Hi folks, new here although I was a big user of PMW 20 years ago. Here is a silly problem. I want OWB 2.0 to auto-number my task IDs, like other PM systems do, but I can't induce it to do so. There is no relevant topic in the help. There seems to be some rudimentary automation but OWB gets the numbers wrong, eg of the phase is 2 then the tasks in the phase start with 2-2 not 2-1. Where is the function for adding WBS codes?

Also how do I stop it from opening the help in Internet Explorer? I only use FireFox.

• Les Rose
    Les Rose
    2012-07-24

Thanks Martti. I found a way to force OWB to number correctly but it's cumbersome. The old PMW did it easily!

Yes, all html files are set to open with Firefox but OWB still opens help with IE! This makes it very slow as I always have FF open.

• Les Rose
    Les Rose
    2012-07-25

The protocols are set to FF as well. It still opens in IE! There must be some IE-specific code in the help files somewhere.

• martink
    martink
    2012-07-25

I stand to be corrected. I did not actually try that, but have used that when configuring FF portable to be the default program.

The closest I can get is to put a shortcut to the index.html on desktop. The opens with FF. A little more cumbersome that the actual help if you have show desktop on you quicklaunch ad OWB help from the toolbar button is not context sensitive.

You could post this thread on the CA Clarity community OWB  messageboard and create an enhancement idea from that.

Martti K.