Date types and expanding text fields

trevor
2007-07-15
2013-04-26
  • trevor
    trevor
    2007-07-15

A few comments and questions.

First, this is great and needed tool.  From the user guide, I was able to figure out openRPT fairly rapidly and to create reports.  You are on the right track.

Second, I don't see a 'date' type for parameters.  Isn't there a need for that?  Or, is there a way to get around this by using functions within MetaSQL or some such thing?

Third, The one thing I would like to see the most is a text field which can grow.  You know what I mean.  MS Access has a feature that allows a text field to wrap and to grow vertically (and push other report items down) when the text does fit in the given horizontal width.  I have numerous reports which rely on this feature in MS Access when creating reports on PostgreSQL databases.  (And, I really would like to get away from MS Access for a number of reasons.)  I have text items which need this feature.  I believe other people like this feature too.  It can make a report look so much better and smaller.  So where are we at with something like that?  (Maybe this feature exists already and I'm just too dumb to know how to do it.  It just looks to me like every item is a fixed size)

• John Rogelstad
      John Rogelstad
      2007-07-16

trevorjc,

First, thank you for the compliment.  We hope OpenRTP becomes a useful tool for your daily operations.  To answer your first question, we generally pass dates as a string parameter.  As to the second, the text object will grow on the document as you described, whereas the field object will not.

Regards,

John