Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

NFS-Server on un-managed device (V4.9)

OpTikker
2012-05-29
2013-04-26
  • OpTikker
    OpTikker
    2012-05-29

Hi there,

Maybe you can help me with a little problem I have while installing OpenQRM 4.9:
    Basically, I'm trying to use an external SAN device as storage server via NFS.

I understand how to add linux-servers with the NFS server package installed, but unfortunately, that is not an option.
    After some reading, my conclusion is that both the NFS-Storage and the LVM (NFS) plugin seem to absolutely require control over the server daemon on the SAN box, otherwise I cannot access the NFS storage at all. Can you confirm this?

If so: is there any way to use an external NFS server on an unmanaged box at all? How should I proceed?
    If not so: What do I need to do to access the server?

I have tried mounting the NFS export on the OpenQRM machine and access it as local storage; that worked, but alas, I would need to re-export the storage via an NFS server managed by OpenQRM, and my QRM machine would act as router for all data traffic between hosts and storage -> not good.

After reading in the forum about an installation with external NFS storage using the ESX-Storage plugin, I've tried that way, too, but with no success so far. I just don't get it.

Any other approaches I have missed?
    Or someone who solved a similar problem?
    To be hones, I'm running out of ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thomas

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-06-04

Hi Thomas.

please simply use the "nfs-storage" plugin, manually create a new resource with the ip + mac of the NAS, create a
    NFS-Storage in openQRM from this resource and set it to "manually managed" in the NFS plugin menu :)
    Then you can add the exported paths of the NAS and use it in openQRM

many thanks and have a nice day,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• Anonymous
    2012-08-03

Hello there,
    I have the same Thomas' problem (I installed OpenQRM 4.9 first and now OpenQRM 5.0); I tried to apply Matt Rechenburg's suggestion without success:

menu Resources > add new resource as > manual add new "un-managed" system (Type: nfs-deployment Deployment: NFS Storage) specifying name, IP address and MAC address.

menu Plugin Manager > Storage > Nfs-storage > Volume admin > new storage (Deployment Type: nfs-deployment, resource: the un-managed system added previously)

after this operation, no way to perform suggested action "set it to "manually managed" in the NFS plugin menu", I don't see this option anywhere:

I can see the Resource created, but there isn't a link to set the resource as "manually managed". There is a link that performs an "edit" action, the edit fails: the resource cannot be managed by OpenQRM, I suppose.

What's wrong?
    Thanks for help, best regards.

SR

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-08-10

thanks for reporting, we could reproduce the problem and are working on a fix

thanks again + have a great day

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• gromiko
    gromiko
    2012-09-09

Hello,

I have same problem in 5.0.
    Configuration of FreeNAS is ok, but nfs-plugin dont work.

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-09-20

thanks again for reporting, we could reproduce the problem and are working on a fix

many thanks, have a nice day and enjoy openQRM 5.0,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-11-10

still working on it but it is almost ready. thanks for your patience,

many thanks, have a nice day and enjoy openQRM 5.0,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• mllacuna
    mllacuna
    2013-03-22

Hello everybody!. I'm testing openQRM in order to create our cloud infrastructure but I don't know how works openQRM with a NFS shared filesystem from FreeNAS, I tried the solution that provided Matt without successful. My shared filesystem is xx.xx.xx.xx:/mnt/volume, I mounted with fstab it into openQRM server (Ubuntu 12.04.2) and works. Please, can you post an example of how to it? because I reviewed the documentation but the examples only shows local storages. Other questions: How I can stop openQRM service? and where is the "Quit" button to close session?. Thanks in advance and kind regards.

• Matt
    Matt
    2013-04-26

Hi,

there is a diagram available in the kvm-storage plugin under

Plugins -> Virtualization -> KVM-Storage -> Help -> Usage

Please see the second diagram with KVM-Storage Blockfile Deployment.
    This should make things clear to you.
    Basically just mount your NAS export on your KVM-Storage Hosts and use Blockfile deployment.

about your other question:
    You can stop the openQRM Service with its init script

/etc/init.d/openqrm stop

For the UI running in your browswer simply close the Tab or Browser Window.

many thanks and have a nice day,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM