Virtualize OpenQRM?

Help
2011-10-20
2013-04-13
  • Hi again,

Is it possible to virtualize the OpenQRM server?. How shoul I proceed?. Do I need to firstly install it on a dedicated box and then perform P2V?

Thanks in advance,

Jose.

• Matt
    Matt
    2011-12-06

Hi Jose,

yes, it is of course possible to run openQRM in a VM e.g. you can run it in a VMware ESX VM and then use it to manage the ESX Host itself (same option with Xen, KVM etc)

many thanks and have a nice day,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• Guido Hecken
    Guido Hecken
    2012-11-13

Hi,

I have installed OpenQRM 5.0 under a debian-wheezy virtual machine running on top of a xen 4.1.3 host.
    All install-scripts succeeded without errors or warnings and the web interface is functional.
    My idea was to have an isolated management-vm for our deployed xen hosts and vms on customer sites and our own systems - local and out on the net.
    As I read in posts here and in documentation sources, OpenQRM should do this job.

Could you please outline the steps I have to perform, for a scenario like this?

Following Plugins are still activated and started:
    - dhcpd
    - dns
    - image-shelf
    - kvm and kvm-storage
    - local-server
    - lvm and nfs-storage
    - tftpd
    - xen
    - xen-storage

Next, I've created a local-server ressource (the xen-host - dom0, the openQRM-VM is running on top) with
    scp /usr/share/openqrm/plugins/local-server/bin/openqrm-local-server <ip-xen-dom0:/tmp
    ssh <ip-xen-dom0> /tmp/openqrm-local-server integrate -u openqrm -p openqrm -q <ip-openqrm-server> -i eth0

As a result following items were created
    - A new appliance initially as Type "Physical System" which I changed to "Xen Host"
    - A new image ressource
    - A new kernel ressource
    - A new storage ressource with Type "local-server"

Questions:
    - Which additional steps do I have to perform, to manage xen servers and vms in OpenQRM?

This is the only relevant log entry, I could find in /var/log/messages:
    Nov 13 00:33:02 openqrm logger: openQRM-cmd-queu ERROR : Command  failed for 3. retries : dbclient -K 10 -y -i /usr/share/openqrm/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key -p xxxxxxxx  root@-t "/usr/share/openqrm/bin/openqrm-cmd /usr/share/openqrm/plugins/xen-storage/bin/openqrm-xen-storage-vm post_vm_list -u xxxxxxxx -p xxxxxxxx

Something with dropbear seems to be wrong…

Thanks for great work on OpenQRM

Guido Hecken - gwsNetTech

• Guido Hecken
    Guido Hecken
    2012-11-16

@bedrich77
    Thanks for the link.

The problem with the failing dropbear command could be solved by manually editing a mysql-table of the OpenQRM database.

"select resource_ip from resource_info;" => gave me a ressource without an ip-address, causing the malformed dropbear command "root@-t "/usr/share/openqrm/….."
    "update resource_info set resource_ip='<ip of the ressource>' where resource_id=1;"  => giving the correct ip-addesss was the solution.

After reading the documentation, many trial and errors and lots of hours of investigation I now have a clue of what OpenQRM is able to do - very impressive!
    Once understood, what these different items like appliances, images, kernels, resources, storage, etc. in OpenQRM stand for, one get's with OpenQRM a big toybox (in German called "Legokiste") instead of a single "Playmobil-Item" like these from VMWARE.

Guido Hecken - gwsNetTech

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-11-16

Hi Guido,

an openQRM resource with an empty ip address is mostly caused by troubles during the initialization.
    Anyway, great that you have found the solution by this manual update in the db (which actually should not be needed when the initialization phase is successful).

And, yes, providing a big toybox (Legokiste) where you can combine everything as you like is exactly the goal of the openQRM project. Nice to hear that you are getting into the "openQRM Appliance Model".
    btw: we are working heavily on a new openQRM Administrator Guide. Soon come.

many thanks and have a nice day,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM