Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

DNS Will not start

Help
Anonymous
2012-08-31
2013-04-13

• Anonymous
    2012-08-31

Hello,

I have installed OpenQRM 5.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64, all of the plugins seem to start except DNS, when I try to start DNS manually the init script simply returns a  message.  Looking at /var/log/syslog reveals it is a permissions problem,

Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: starting BIND 9.8.1-P1 -u bind
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: built with '-prefix=/usr' '-mandir=/usr/share/man' '-infodir=/usr/share/info' '-sysconfdir=/etc/bind' '-localstatedir=/var' '-enable-threads' '-enable-largefile' '-with-libtool' '-enable-shared' '-enable-static' '-with-openssl=/usr' '-with-gssapi=/usr' '-with-gnu-ld' '-with-geoip=/usr' '-enable-ipv6' 'CFLAGS=-fno-strict-aliasing -DDIG_SIGCHASE -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: adjusted limit on open files from 4096 to 1048576
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: found 4 CPUs, using 4 worker threads
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: using up to 4096 sockets
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp apache2: openQRM resource-monitor.php: (plugin_monitor_hook) Found plugin local-storage handling monitor event.
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: loading configuration from '/etc/bind/named.conf'
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: /etc/bind/named.conf:10: open: /etc/bind/named.conf.local: permission denied
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: loading configuration: permission denied
        Aug 30 18:06:38 mcp named: exiting (due to fatal error)

named.conf.local is a sym link to /usr/share/openqrm/plugins/dns/etc/bind/named.conf.local

I attempted to:

chown root.bind /usr/share/openqrm/plugins/dns/etc/bind/named.conf.local

to no avail. 

I could simply comment out the require line, but I have a feeling this would break the OpenQRM DNS functionality (does OpenQRM community even utilize DNS?  I'm confused because I was under the impression that I would have to manage DHCP and DNS manually, however, certain plugins require DNS and DHCP plugins, a bit off topic, but some clarification here would be greatly appreciated).

Thanks for any input.

• deuse
    deuse
    2012-09-01

enable DNS plugin -  but do not start the DNS plugin. that works for us.

we think that the DNS plugin is not working correct.

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-09-20

Hi deuse,

still no idea about the problems you have with the DNS Plugin. Can it be you are running openQRM on Centos or RH ?
    -> for those distribution Bind is running in a Chroot, for now we do not support this.
    On Debian/Ubuntu (which are the recommended Distributions for the openQRM Server itself) it is working great and out-of-the-box.

Any more infos about it ? e.g. logs etc ?

many thanks, have a nice day and enjoy openQRM 5.0,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• Grant
    Grant
    2012-12-18

Mr matt, I just have a question about recommended Distributions ubuntu, you should know that most physical server do not support ubuntu distribution for no RAID driver supporting, so we have to use it in Centos

• Matt
    Matt
    2013-01-14

Hi,

no problem. CentOS is fully supported too.

many thanks and have a nice day,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM