Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Pls. Help me out from PRINTING prob.

Help
2009-05-10
2013-05-15
  • I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and Serena Open Project 1.4. I can print but I can't change PAPER SIZE, SCALING and other options. It seems it is disabled in my version. Can somebody let me know any solution?

• Ken Baker
      Ken Baker
      2009-08-13

I have the same problem with the windows XP version, running version 1.4.  Any help much appreciated.

• John Wansink
    John Wansink
    2011-08-15

Same problems here.
    I like the functionality, but results need to be communicated on paper as well.
    Scaling possibilities would already help.
    Anyone?

• illumin123
    illumin123
    2011-08-24

I've the same problem, too. I can't scale the Print on one A4-Site. The function seemes to be disabled. Can anyone help me?

• Tony Cassin
    Tony Cassin
    2011-10-17

only solution i cn find is to zoom in on your monitor using View, leaves the Gant Chart a bit squished but the text is clear

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-08-29

Yeah,  the first major update to OpenProj since we got acquired by Serena is coming out tomorrow.  ProjectLibre was a major rewrite and includes compatibility with MIcrosoft Project 2010, bug fixes, printing of reports, a ribbon UI and more.  You can download ProjectLibre also on Sourceforge. We also launched a community site at http://www.projectlibre.org   There are images and other information on the community site.  It would be good to get your feedback on ProjectLibre

• Jim Strange
    Jim Strange
    2012-09-18

Just downloaded ProjectLibre. Clicking the "Print Preview" button just gives the Windows 7 "hour glass" replacement. Nothing else ever happens!

I'm all for open source, continuous improvement, user communities etc., but getting the basics right is more important than adding a ribbon interface… Currently, ProjectLibre seems like a backwards step from OpenProj. It's certainly nowhere near competing with MSProject, contrary to what the community website would have one believe.

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-09-18

Hi Jim,  we are releasing a new beta tomorrow of  ProjectLibre that will expand the printing capability.  I am not sure why you feel this is a backward step.  There is no printing whatsoever in OpenProj. You cannot open Microsoft Project files properly and there are hundreds of bugs that have been fixed over the past year.  We are trying very hard to improve and the printing improvements are being released this week in the latest beta.   We are also commencing work on the ProjectLibre server side that will further add depth….

• Jim Strange
    Jim Strange
    2012-09-18

tahoeob

I meant no offence, but in OpenProj I can print preview (although not scale, which renders printing pretty useless, and is what brought me to this thread in the first place) and OpenProj most definitely does print (with these caveats). ProjectLibre doesn't even print preview (at least not for me on W7).

I just read the projectlibre.org front matter which sounds fantastic, but I can't see many real-life improvements. For instance, I still can't change the colour of critical path bars from red, or opt not to display critical path. It sounds trivial, but much of project planning is about getting approval, which is about presentation. Much of Project Management is about showing progress, which is about presentation. For an Agile project with lots of parallel activities that all finish at the same time, EVERYTHING is on the critical path. Which means it's all red, and a Gantt with that much red is bound to prompt all sorts of questions from those who see it. Senior management are scared of red!

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have a free alternative to MSProj, and I don't want to be the miserable b*** that criticises the effort you guys are putting in. But apart from the additional file formats, I can't actually see any real improvement between OpenProj 1.4 and ProjectLibre. (That said, they're both better than any other free alternative to MS Proj I've found!)

I guess I'm just looking for different things than the bulk of your subscribers, and that's fine, you're concentrating on the majority which is absolutely the right thing to do. Coming from an organisation with money to burn, to one with a restrictive policy on capital expenditure, I guess I'm just missing the flexibility from which  I benefited previously with regard to planning tools!

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-09-18

Thanks Jim,  we don't mind the criticism…. will help the project improve.  You raise some good questions and encourage the continued feedback.  I have developed PM software that allowed the changing of bar colors and it created havoc.  As you know the critical path by convention is red and allowing it to be altered to blue/green etc. might fit some usecases but also create confusion in others.  We'll have to ponder this but certainly can have an option to not display the critical path….. we are putting together a config dialog box that will allow global, user and project settings.  This would be a good one to include. 

We have literally fixed hundreds of bugs from the obvious like data entry focus error , scheduling algorithms and less obvious ones like Java compatibility etc.  It has taken dedicated 9 months for the team so it is in some ways frustrating for us as well to not have the visible improvements.   Btw, I have also lead a team that developed Agile PM software as well.  I am not a fan of using ProjectLibre on an agile project and would recommend a solution with Agile as a focus.  We will not have burndown charts etc…

Once again, appreciate your input and the feedback is good.  Best of luck with your projects and we'll have printing fixed tomorrow….

Cheers,

Marc

• Jim Strange
    Jim Strange
    2012-09-18

Agreed - changing the colour is actually a bad idea. In MSProj you can select a Gantt chart that simply doesn't highlight critical path at all. This would be preferable, but not sure about how simple the implementation might be.

I agree about using Gantt charts with Agile projects, and it's something we've resisted (we use TargetProcess as the main management tool). But da boss is da boss, and he wants to see a schedule for implementation. Which is why for me, in my current role, presentation is more important than calc-heavy functionality such as resource levelling etc. I do appreciate I'm probably in a tiny minority!

Cheers