Date Constraints suddenly appearing

Help
2008-11-01
2013-05-15
  • Hi all,

I'm having trouble moving my tasks around on my gantt chart.
    Initially there are no constraints set on the task, but if I change the start date, (suddenly) a "Start no earlier than" constraint will be applied!

From then on, I can only move the task to be started at a later date. I cannot move it to an earlier date, its a like a one-way street!

If I go into the advanced tab of the task info and try to delete the Constraint Date, the constraint will be removed... but will instantly re-appear if I try to change the start date of the task again!

Effectively this means that I can't move my tasks around.
    Is this default behaviour?

I have found, as a work-around, that I can move my tasks around by changing the Constraint Date in the Task Info dialogue... But this is a bit of a pain.

Can anyone help?

• JESii
      JESii
      2008-11-25

I'm having a similar problem: I have a summary task with one subtask of one day's duration which occurs on 1/15/2009. As soon as I add another subtask, it immediately places that new task to start at 2/26/2009, which is completely crazy.  The task shows "As Soon As Possible", has no constraint date, and has no resources assigned so it's not trying to level anything.

This is a complete show-stopper on this project -- if I can't get OpenProj to place tasks where I want them, it's not much use... hopefully, this is some kind of obscure pilot error that someone can help me get around.

Thanks...jon

• JESii
        JESii
        2008-11-25

Answering my own question...

Somehow the summary task had gotten a "start no earlier than" date constraint, so everything I tried to add as a subtask took that as a starting point.

In general, if you manually set a date, then a date constraint of some kind is added and then I have to go to the Advanced tab... as I recall, this is very much like MS Project.

cheers...jon