Openproj situation and future

2011-11-02
2013-05-15
  • Renato Roque
    Renato Roque
    2011-11-02

Openproj belongs now to Serena. Does anyone know what are their plans concerning this tool?. Will it continue? How?
    Thanks
    Renato

• Anonymous
    2012-03-25

Will be great a position about this, even because the last release was 4 years ago (2008).
    And now, will be great unlock some features like "Export to PDF" because Serena don't sell it anymore.

• lifeboy
    lifeboy
    2012-03-31

Well, it's open source.  Pull a copy of the source and continue the project or fork it if you feel you can do this.  It's really a shame that nothing is being on here anymore.  There are really things that don't work the way they should.

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-03-31

This is Marc,  I am the founder of OpenProj. There is good news…..the code has not been updated in the past 4 years. The exception was some recent commits that made serious regressions.  That would not be the good news. However, myself and other co-founder will be getting back involved  I will have a blog soon…

• Juergen Bruns
    Juergen Bruns
    2012-04-01

Hi Marc, that's really good news. If there is anything I can do to assist you just let me know. I am not a programmer but could do the translation work to German. The translation in the current version is not complete and partially the right term has been missed.
    Kind regards
    Juergen

• Fantastic news, Marc. There is a real demand for OpenProj to be polished a bit - it's already pretty slick. The documentation might be an area where things could be improved for the users, too. Happy to help (subject to other commitments, ofc) in the Java or the documentation.

Good luck :)

• Bob Cancilla
    Bob Cancilla
    2012-04-21

Why bother!  This piece of cyber junk is next to worthless!  Just basics like estimated start and estimated finish dates vs actual start and finish dates being missing, some bizarre behaviors when trying to enter a completion date.  And dozens of other features missing.  This piece of cyber junk has a long ways to go before its worth the price of open source software. 

My favorite used to be SuperProject from Computer Associates but it seems to be long gone. This is a nice attempt but lacks a whole lot of functionality to make it a viable project management tool. Nice try guys but you have missed the target by a mile.

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-06-26

Good news, we have made great progress on ProjectLibre.  It will be a few weeks but we will be releasing.  We have added printing which is missing from OpenProj and also working on a new UI.  However, the biggest improvement may be compatibility with Microsoft Project 2010.

• Anonymous
    2012-06-28

Hi Marc

What is the plan now?  Have you got the resources and support you need to resolve the bugs?

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-07-23

Thank you for the nice replies (one exception LOL)…. we are passionate about project management and offering an open source alternative to Microsoft Project!  The release of ProjectLibre is progressing well.  We have made great strides with bug fixes, Microsoft Project import/export and adding printing….. there will also be a server side replacement of Microsoft Project Server coming out as well so expect a lot of activity!!!!!   We are launching the ProjectLibre website soon, it is up but not being publicized but you folks can see the poor start :-) 

• Ray Roughmoose
    Ray Roughmoose
    2012-07-24

It will be interesting to see how far it's come along because OpenProj now is lloking it's age.

MS-Project is over-priced commercial junk so power to open source. The vast majority of users need to have a simple, low maintenance, day-to-day tool that doesn't have a huge learning curve, is full of unwanted functionality or is incompatible with other tools.

Presumably OpenProj .pod files will be compatible with ProjectLibre and will have 'some' level of documentation this time around?

• Tahoeob
    Tahoeob
    2012-08-29

Yeah,  the first major update to OpenProj since we got acquired by Serena is coming out tomorrow.  ProjectLibre was a major rewrite and includes compatibility with MIcrosoft Project 2010, bug fixes, printing of reports, a ribbon UI and more.  You can download ProjectLibre also on Sourceforge. We also launched a community site at http://www.projectlibre.org   There are images and other information on the community site.  It would be good to get your feedback on ProjectLibre