Getting the release out

Developers
2010-09-13
2013-04-16
  • Joern Kottmann
    Joern Kottmann
    2010-09-13

Hi everyone,

I prepared everything for the release now, is there anything which should go into it, Jason and James ?

Would be nice if you can both get the head of the current code and test it a little. I already did
    lots of testing and think its ready now. I might do a little more testing before we actually release.

Can someone have a look over the readme file ?

Thanks,
    Jörn

• James Kosin
    James Kosin
    2010-09-13

Jorn,

Thanks, I'm currently okay with the current release.  I'm currently restructuring the dictionary creator for the name-finder and census data.  Sorry for the long delay in this part.  I'm not worried since, we really need a use for this in the final project before we fully integrate the dictionary for the namefinder.

James

• Joern Kottmann
    Joern Kottmann
    2010-09-14

Yeah, sadly we have no free training data for the name finder right now. Since many people have this problem I guess we should write a parser for the conll03 data.

http://www.cnts.ua.ac.be/conll2003/ner/

The Conll03 training data contains english and german articles with named entities.

Jörn

• I picked up the latest stuff and tried it out. Works fine when embedded in another system and used as a jar file. However, running the command line doesn't work so well, and perhaps it is my inexperience with maven that is the problem. I did "mvn install", and it claims to have built just fine. The bin/opennlp script is looking for an opennlp-tools-*.jar file in the main opennlp dir, but instead I have target/opennlp-tools-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar. If I just try running the jar file directly, I get:

~/devel/opennlp$ java -jar target/opennlp-tools-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: opennlp/model/EventStream
    at opennlp.tools.cmdline.CLI.<clinit>(CLI.java:107)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: opennlp.model.EventStream
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    … 1 more
    Could not find the main class: opennlp.tools.cmdline.CLI. Program will exit.

Am I doing something wrong?

Jason

• Joern Kottmann
    Joern Kottmann
    2010-09-18

Try mvn assembly:assembly, and then unpack the binary distribution. The script should work then.

Jörn

• James Kosin
    James Kosin
    2010-09-19

Jason,

The class paths have changed for opennlp and maxent recently.  That gave me the same problems.  I use the latest development builds and here is what I use:

set JAVA_CMD=java -classpath .\dist\lib;.\dist\lib\jwnl-1.4_rc3.jar;.\dist\lib\opennlp-maxent-3.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar;.\dist\lib\opennlp-tools-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    %JAVA_CMD% opennlp.tools.cmdline.CLI SentenceDetector .\enSentenceDetector.model < test.txt > out1.txt

You have to be sure to get the versions correct also when you do things.

James

• Doing 'mvn assembly:assembly' and then using bin/opennlp in the binary distribution works fine. So, I guess the README should be updated to mention this. Otherwise, looks good to go!

• James Kosin
    James Kosin
    2010-09-22

Jason,

Yeah, that and Java doesn't allow .jar files embedded in .jar files just yet for resources.  At least not since the last time I checked.

James

• Joern Kottmann
    Joern Kottmann
    2010-09-22

James, we do not embed jars in jars right ? The opennlp jar file just contains the class path in its manifest file.

Jörn

• Joern Kottmann
    Joern Kottmann
    2010-09-23

OK, its released now. I will create a small announcement post for our forums.

Jörn