Running a .dsk

General
2005-06-01
2013-04-03
  • Hello,
    How can I run a .dsk using Catapult?
    I always receive an error telling me that I do not have any inserted cartridge, and the disk image does not run.
    How could I workaround it? I have lots of rom games, and I also have the rom files that came with fmsx-dos. Is there any way I could use it?
    Thank you for any help.
    Hervandil, from Brazil

• This is not a catapult issue; please check your machine XML file.

• You seem to be using the C-BIOS machines, which do not support disks.

The solution: use a machine that has a disk drive. You will have to install the system ROMs for it, though. This is all explained in the FAQ and in the manual itself.

See: http://openmsx.sf.net/manual/faq.html

Your question is also answered in there.

• Yes, you're right.
      I'm really using C-BIOS. I'll check the faq.
      Thank you
      Hervandil

• So, I could load a system bios (Gradiente expert MSX BR).
      But I still can run any .dsk. Runing this bios, the system loads the basic language.
      Could somebody help me?
      Thank you again
      Hervandil

• What Gradiente Expert did you use?

Only the Gradiente Expert DD PLus has a disk drive built in.

• Hmmm, I'm using expext 1.1
      Could you please tell me where I could find any msx rom that enables the emulator for running .dsk???
      Thank you again,
      Hervandil

• As I said: you just have to choose to emulate an MSX machine which has a built in disk drive. There are many! In the Netherlands, a very common one is the Philips NMS 8250.

How to get the ROMs is mentioned in the manual as well:

http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/manual/setup.html#systemroms

• Oh my God I'm about to go insane.

I don't know anything, ANYTHING about MSX. I just wanted to play Konami's Snatcher.
      So the only ROM I could find was a zip with 4 disks (.dsk), hence you tell me C-BIOS machines don't work with those. So I tried to use another one like that Philips NMS 8250 thingy but it didn't work. I then used Catapult and after establishing a share folder, it tells me that only 3 machines work: the C-BIOS!!!

OMG sanity decreasing what can I do?!?!?!?

• Well, find out why the 8250 doesn't work. You probably didn't install the system ROM images for it. If you try to run it, openMSX will complain and tell you which system ROMs are missing.

See also the manual: http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/manual/setup.html#systemroms

• Thanks for replying so fast.
      Actually, I'm clueless as to how to "install the system ROM images". Don't get me wrong, I've checked all those FAQs, Manuals, Helps and How-tos and my brain refuses to understand.

I copied the .dsk files into the Philips NMS 8250 folder in the Machine directory, and the problem continues. As for changing the machines in the Emulation options, it only shows the C-BIOs and the ones that aren't MSX.

• What's exactly unclear?

Why are you coping .dsk files to the Philips NMS 8250 folder in the Machine directory?
        .dsk files contain disk images, they have nothing to do with system *ROMs*! YOu should place the system ROM files in the location as mentioned in the manual. AFter that, the 8250 machine will work and you can then run disk images with it, as this machine has a disk drive.

• I did it!
      The problem was that I had confused the system ROMs with the emulator ROMs (the actual games).

Then I had a problem because the filename of the sys ROMs was wrong.

I'm done, thanks a lot!!

• I was already suspecting this confusion.

Anyway, the file names are not important (if you have exactly the right files) if you put the system ROMs the share/systemroms directory, as is explained in the manual.

• Yup, it was so evident, I couldn't see it.

:D