Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

SMS and SMTP tracking units

Help
2007-11-25
2013-06-12
  • David Green
    David Green
    2007-11-25

Hi,
    I have 2 H350 test units from http://www.esitrack.com, these use either SMS based position messaging or SMTP mail to POP3 server. Are there any plans for a SMS connector? A lot of the more remote areas have SMS but no GPRS/1XRTT data capability.

I have followed the install process as defined and found no issues getting it up and running.

Thanks

Regards
    David

• Martin Flynn
      Martin Flynn
      2007-11-26

Hi David,
      Each device has a different means of transporting data to the server.
      OpenGTS currently provides device communication server 'templates' for both
      HTTP-base communication, and raw socket-based data communication.  It currently
      does not provide an SMTP-based server template, however one should not be too
      difficult to implement.  SMS messages sent from a remote tracking device would
      likely need to be sent through some form of SMS gateway and would likely arrive
      at the server via an SMTP email message (unless you are providing your own SMS
      gateway).  An email-based device communication server would then simply have
      incoming email to it, which it would parse according to the format of the data
      which it receives, and insert into the appropriate database.  I will see about
      having an SMTP-based device communication server template added to the
      available server templates distributed with OpenGTS.
      Best Regards,
      - Martin

• El Cid
    El Cid
    2010-09-17

Has anybody been able to setup an SMTP-based device communication? At least from server-to-device? This seems like the least expensive way v.s. an SMS Gateway that requires a GSM modem.

• monicar
    monicar
    2010-09-17

>At least from server-to-device?
    At least? Do you know a GPS tracker that incorporates an SMTP server?

• El Cid
    El Cid
    2010-09-17

http://www.leading.com.my/misc/Portable%20GPS%20Tracker.pdf is this what you are asking for?

Anyways, implementing an SMTP Gateway instead of SMS. Wanted to know if that could work. Sending SMS message to the device via e-mail.

• Peter Hamer
    Peter Hamer
    2013-02-12

I know this is an old post, but you can accomplish an email gateway very simply using php.
    I have used it successfully to parse emails from a logger with an attached gps that sends emails at set intervals.

For this i used "Thunderbird Email Client", "Attachment Extractor" addon and a scheduled php script, all run on the same opengts server under windows. I assume the same could be modified for linux

If anyone is interested in the workings, i would be happy to share

regards

Peadar

• hghfiri
    hghfiri
    2013-03-20

Hi Peadar,

I'm working to integrate GT06 tracker on opengts, I'm intersted on your email gateway using php. can you please share this with me.

Thanks in Advance,

hghfiri

• Peter Hamer
    Peter Hamer
    2013-03-20

hi.
    as far as i know the gt06 does not email its position?
    my php scripts handle extracted email attachments, (csv, xml files etc)
    so i assume you want to send an sms via email to the gt06? .am i correct?
    for that you will still need an sms gateway, like smstools3 or clickatel  provider, or similar. much can be accomplished that way.
    perhaps you could clarify what you need, and i would be glad to help.

peadar.