Menu

CelltracGTS/Free questions

Ale Ambro
2014-05-05
2015-05-04
  • Ale Ambro

Ale Ambro - 2014-05-05

Hi Martin. I've send you an email this morning and you have answered to me this afternoon but I wish to continue our discussion here :-)
    First of all I'm sorry: I've asked to you some very stupid things (es metric unit).

CelltracGTS looks to be interesting compared its main competitor Btraced.com and Logger GPS

In 1 minutes I've setup my personal homemade server MotoLive.zapto.org and your app is working.

Well, I've some questions again.

1) CelltracGTS/Free queues data if network is unrecheable. Ok, good.
    How is the size of the queue (how many GPS point can be temporarily stored in queue) ?

2) Do you plan a "low power mode" ? i.e. If I use GPS update > 30 sec, GPS device can be switched off.
    I see that while the app is in "stop mode", GPS device looks to be switched off and it's switched only for the fix. Correct ? If yes, this is good :-)

3) I'm not comfortable with OpenGTS server Java code. Can you briefly explain to me (or tell me where to find infos (code)) which message the server should answer to the app ?
    I've discovered "OK" answer if all is correct, 'ERROR' if there are errors. Something else ? There are some error codes ?

My personal opinion about missing feature (for Free or Pro version):

a) data can be locally saved (into Android sqlite db ?) and then can be exported locally into a GPX file (and user can upload the GPX file to DropBox or Google Drive or sent via email). So the app can be used as a total offline recorder.

b) 'Settings' lacks an "account" option (before or after 'Mobile-ID'): user can fill "acct=" GET param (if any) with his data. Now I need to set "Server URL:" to something like
    'http://myserver/gprmc/Data?acct=myname'
    It works but it's not user friendly.

c) (already in "Coming Soon PRO version") User can send a "status" message (Waymark, Assistance ...). Ok.
    Should be a great thing if user can also sent a GPS point coords with a short personal message (i.e. "restaurant" , "fuel fillup" ...). This can be used by server as POI internal informational system. Message can be sent to a new urlencoded GET param like "&text=..."

d) can be interesting a "enable phone network fallback mode" : user can enable this option. If GPS fix is not available, position is fixed from phone network. Very low precision but it works.

e) "GPS Sample rate" need also 20 sec. value

f) "event interval while motion" : needs also 10 sec. 15 sec. 20 sec. 30 sec. 45 sec. values if someone want record a high precision track.
    Or add a more simple choice for "event interval while motion" :
    "Equal to GPS Sample rate" <<==
    "1 minutes"
    "2 minutes"
    etc. etc.
    or see below (g)

g) a mix of (e) and (f): GPS position is collected every 'GPS Sample rate' but data are sento to the server after "event interval while motion".
    Now position is collected only during "event interval while moving" and immediately transmitted (or queued if no network).
    I wish a high position acquire rate but send data less often, i.e. iy GPS Rate is every 30 sec. and "event Interval while movinge" is 5 minutes... After 5 minutes there are queued 10 positions and after 5 minutes they are sent to the server.

Last edit: Ale Ambro 2014-05-05
  • Martin Flynn

Martin Flynn - 2014-05-05

Hi Alex,

1) - On the CelltracGTS/Free, the maximum queue size is 200 events, after which the oldest events will be removed as new events are added.

2) - The "GPS Sample Rate" is the interval that the phone LocationManager is told to report the current GPS location. The phone can control the quiescent period of time between this interval to help reduce battery consumption.

3) - You are probably using the "gprmc.war" file to receive data from CelltracGTS/Free. The source to this module can be found in the OpenGTS installation directory at "src/org/opengts/war/gprmc/Data.java".

a) The CelltracGTS/Pro will provide the option of saving unsent events when exiting the app (the CelltracGTS/Free does not provide this option). These saved events will be reloaded the next time that the CelltracGTS/Pro app is restarted. Currently, there is no option to 'export' these events, but this is an option we are considering.

b) The CelltracGTS app already automatically includes the "&id=" parameter (Mobile ID) in the URL that is sent to the "gprmc" server, so no additional parameters are needed in the Server URL. This "id" (MobileID) is used to look up the device in the "Unique ID" field of the Device record to find which Device record is has been assigned.
    However, in the CelltracGTS/Pro version, an account/user/password option will be available in order to support the "Group Map" feature which displays a map of all devices/phones within the account on a map (using the "events.war" servlet).

c) The additional "message" option is available in the CelltracGTS/Pro app.

d) This is an option in the CelltracGTS/Pro app.

e) This is an option in the CelltracGTS/Pro app.

f) This is an option in the CelltracGTS/Pro app.

Thank you very much.
    Best Regards,
    - Martin

• Ale Ambro

Ale Ambro - 2014-05-06

Hi Martin. Thanks for your answers.

My questions above are about a not-OpenGTS server.
    There are many app into Play Store that can be used for a 'generalistic GPS tracking' (btraced, logger gps by mendhak, others..) but they lack some feature. There is no a perfect 'app'.

Celltrac app (like other) is born for OpenGTS but they can be used for other purpose with other server.

For example my server motolive.zapto.org is written by me from scratch in PHP (and using Sqlite as db and lighttpd as web server) and it run into a small ARM board (Cubieboard.org model 1).
    I've not used any code from OpenGTS project.

My questions above are about for a not-OpenGTS use.

1) 200 point queue is not so much. If I record a point every 20 seconds (in my opinion and for my use is the correct time) I've 4000 seconds buffer , about an hour. Can be a small value in some situation.
    Other app like Btraced save data (probably) into Android sqlite and they have no virtual limit. They can temporarily record into queue hours and hours...

b) "&ID=123..." : I know. With my personal server I've analyzed your GET params sent by your app. But your idea is focused only to OpenGTS.
    I'm happy for an accountname/password option.

I use tracking system since years , I wait the Pro version.
    Celltrac looks to be a very interesting app.
    PS: take a look at btraced.com app: its layout is very very nice.

• Martin Flynn

Martin Flynn - 2014-05-06

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Right now, the CelltracGTS was designed specifically for OpenGTS. I expect that many new features will be added to accommodate many different types of requirements as new versions are released.

Thank you very much.
    Best Regards,
    - Martin

• Bala

Bala - 2015-05-04

ale ambro is it possible to get gps server to run on linux with php and mysql
    forward same to tbala@gulfocean.com