Help
Mukoya
2011-05-14
2013-04-06
  • Mukoya
    Mukoya
    2011-05-14

Two questions here:

Is there an easy way to wipe out all financial information for patients either selectively or all at once?

This is helpful for example when a facility with newly installed OEMR would like to practice using billing module as they continue with their paper bases system for, say, a month, till they are comfortable. For the grand switch, we can then set all balances to zero and start using OEMR exclusively while preserving other patient data.

I know this may include handling tables in the database but I hope to get some direction as some tables store multiple types of data.

What exactly is the role of Fees>Payments? Is there anything accomplished on this page that cannot be accomplished via the more comprehensive Fees>Billing page(s).

I have noted that with some ACL settings, the former is visible while the later is not. Also, distribution of payments via Fees>Payments does not include products(drugs).

I would like to only use Billing and not Payments but I am anxious that I could be missing something that is exclusively possible in Payments.

• Uhsarp
    Uhsarp
    2011-05-16

Regarding q1, you can read the queries in the source code of fee sheet, collections report to figure out which tables are being used by OpenEMR to capture billing data and you can go ahead and delete the entries (after backing up a zillion times!!!!).

q2, I'm not sure yet! We are still using 3.2 and are very close to upgrading to 4.0 and I'll probably shoot that question if it's not answered here :)

• ZH Healthcare
    ZH Healthcare
    2011-05-16

Let me try to answer your second question. 

Fees> Billing  :  This is where you sort out your claims and generate x12 or hcfa forms et cetera. 

Fees>> Payments:  This is the new system that is provided for posting your EOBs and ERAs.  There used to be a link under billing which had the EOBs, but that wasnt sophisticated enough to handle a lot of things with the payment including editing and deleting a posted payment.  So the idea was to phase that link out and use the new payment system.

Shameem
    www.zhservices.com

• Mukoya
    Mukoya
    2011-05-16

Thanks uhsarp and Shameen for your answers. Regarding tables, will go through the architecture document and try it out on a test environment.

I am alright with Payments. Only big issue-which i have talked about severally is that it does not reflect products like drugs. Payment screen appears to be totally blind to drugs even when they are correctly entered in inventory and Fee sheet (need to enable inventory of products in globals to see drugs on fee sheet). It appears they will need to be re-entered as services in order for them to be correctly billed. I find that EOBs screen reflects drugs and correctly shows them in statements and that is why i have tended to drift towards EOBs.

Note that when entered only as services, the invaluable templates functionality in inventory management, other inventory management functionality and reports are not available. this means one has to enter the drugs and templates in inventory management and duplicate all that in services!

• ZH Healthcare
    ZH Healthcare
    2011-05-16

I have tried to understand the inventory module and have failed.  I dont know how to work that one.  Maybe someone who has used the module can elaborate. 

• Saleem
    Saleem
    2011-05-20

If you can post your email address here I can send you a pdf document with the schema of the database that explains very nicely what everything is used for. Might make your life a lot easier.

Saleem

• ZH Healthcare
    ZH Healthcare
    2011-05-20

Saleem
    My email is sam@zhservices.com
    Thanks for your help

• Mukoya
    Mukoya
    2011-05-20

Hi, "zhhealthcare",

Inventory module is probably my favorite. Best for on-site pharmacy management. I don't use it for any other purpose.

In summary:
    Drugs are entered into the inventory at implementation of OEMR or start of use of module. Extra drugs can be added at any time and obsolete or out of stock drugs deleted or inactivated.

Same drug can be entered as different lots possessing different expiry dates (and a few other attributes e.g manufacturer etc)

I use the templates fields to define different regimens to enable automated prescription. e.g.

Drug X regimen for adult disease A,  (e.g Metronidazole for adult with enteritis: 400mg TDS for 5 days, no refills)
    Drug X regimen for adult with disease B (e.g for adult with PID, 400mg TDS for 14 days, 0 refills)
    Drug X regimen for an older child with disease A: 200mg tds for 5 days

etc.

At prescription, selecting these templates auto-populates all the necessary fields saving a lot of time. One can have only one commonest regimen as one template. The cost is also auto-filled in fee sheet as the drug is billed.

Drugs are deducted from the lot with nearest expiry as prescriptions are served.

Cannot dispense drug that is not prescribed.

Warning when re-order level reached.

Error when attempt to bill drug that is out of stock

Comprehensive inventory reports.

Documents purchase, distribution, destruction, adjustments, transfer, returns.

I could go on and on and on, but to cut a very long story less long, I will refer you to an IPPF page included in OEMR

openemr\Documentation\IPPF_Guides/

Check out process 4-4-0 and  4-4-2. they are pdf files.

I find this to be one of the core strengths of OEMR.

Saleem,

My email is: emmukoya@gmail.com

I would also love to have a glance at the file.

Mukoya.

• ZH Healthcare
    ZH Healthcare
    2011-05-21

Mukoya
    Thank you.  Appreciate it verymuch

Shameem
    www.zhservices.com

• Anonymous
    2011-06-21

Couple of Questions on Billing and Payments section:
    1. How could I record "Co-Pay" as soon as patient is checked-in with out filling the fee sheet?  Is there a way to do this on "Payments" section?
    2. Is there a way to save Patient's pre-payment for his/her future services?
    Could any body help me in this regard.

• Anonymous
    2011-06-21

Couple of Questions on Billing and Payments section:
    1. How could I record "Co-Pay" as soon as patient is checked-in with out filling the fee sheet?  Is there a way to do this on "Payments" section?
    2. Is there a way to save Patient's pre-payment for his/her future services?
    Could any body help me in this regard.

• ZH Healthcare
    ZH Healthcare
    2011-06-21

Copay: Create an encounter: go to the left nav, there is a drop down called "popups" select payment, enter the copay.  This will show up in the fee sheet when you are ready to fill it in.

Go under Fees>Payments….  Select payment category to prepayment and enter the amount.  You will not have to allocate it to any encounter.  When you do have to allocate it, you can search and edit the payment and allocate it to the encounter. 

Hope this helps
    Shameem
    www.zhservices.com

• Anonymous
    2011-06-21

@zhhealthcare: Copay: Is there an option to Choose "Copay" in the Payments section? or how do I choose the payment as Copay because the application doesn't let me to save the patient payment as "Copay". May be i've missed it some how. please, walk me through the process.

Fees->Payments-> I was able to allocate Pre-Payment with the "New Encounter" that i just created, But the same is not being reflected in "Fee Sheet" because i do not see there is a way to retrieve the same. Please, walk me through the detail process