Does cyc contain any information about verb?

2010-02-10
2013-05-28
  • Justin Kang
    Justin Kang
    2010-02-10

Hi there,

I am planning to classified some sort of action operators.For example, if there's operator "bring", it has to have parameter
    object and destination. Then I probably define it as "give(object, destination)" like this.

As I know, the OpenCyc has some concept of verb, but I could find just hierarchical relations between concept and concept, but
    I need parameters for each different verbs. So I need some standard format which defines these parameters for verb operators, and I wonder if the ConceptNet could be the solution to solve my problem.

I'm looking for hearing from youguys.

Thanks.

Best.

Justin.

• David Baxter
    David Baxter
    2010-02-10

Hi Justin,

There is a limited amount of this type of information in OpenCyc. What you are calling "verbs" OpenCyc generally classifies as types of #$Event. The predicate #$requiredActorSlots relates a type of event to the roles that required participants in an event of that type play. For instance, #$GivingSomething has the #$requiredActorSlots values #$giver, #$givee and #$objectGiven.

The transitive nature of the OpenCyc ontology gives you even more options. For instance, the #$genlPreds hierarchy will tell you that a #$giver is a kind of performer and #$fromPossessor. Also, since #$GivingSomething is a type of #$Event-Localized, it also has an #$eventOccursAt value.

Good luck.

David Baxter
    Cycorp