fixed ai theory

Xior
2004-12-24
2013-05-28
  • Xior
    Xior
    2004-12-24

ok i fixed my original theory and solved ai. this is it. have to stay with it for a while new stuff at the end.

ai self-consciousness

i want to make a thread dedicated to what i believe is the most important thing that could be done in AI. that is to create an AI capable of infinite or almost infinite self improvement. that is the only way to break the current barrier with AI, which are limited by their original programming, for the most part.

I believe that this can be done by having the AIs conscousness based on words, like how humans counscoiunesses are, since birth we use words long before we learn any math. Define words to the ai and show how the words you defined relate to each other, how the definitions work and interact with each other and whatever the real world is to the ai (that is, all the input it receives). Thus the AI will not only be able to speak to us but also to grow and improve itself. some of those definitions will be mathematical ones, from its understanding of how words are used it would be able to use math the same way. that is how humans learn things, with a great verbal assist, everything, even if its a number, is said in a word. that is the essence of good self improving self conscious ai.

-xior

Sounds like another cyc project. Just another language to enter the definitions, no consciousness comes out of that. No, the things we want to achieve consciousness with should work on connections, like neural networks, no words, unless the connections can be interpreted as words.

-xrcist

i know its complicated. but my idea was to indeed interpret the connections as words. cause from words you can describe or interpret anything if you get complicated enough. it will also help figure out whats going on if we verballize all of it.

> "Define words to the ai and show how the words you defined relate to each other, how the definitions work and interact with each other"

This sounds a lot like "giving a name to objects" (words) and how these objects relate to each other (predicates).

> "Thus the AI will not only be able to speak to us but also to grow and improve itself."

I _really_ want to believe that something like that can be accomplished :-). However, your conclusion seems to be a bit too fast to me, because there are no arguments to support this conclusion in your original post.

> "No, the things we want to achieve consciousness
    with should work on connections, like neural networks, no words,"

This triggered me to remember DISCERN, a set of programs that is used to feed stories to a neural netwerk. Look for 'DISCERN' in http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~mueller/storyund/storyres.html

-- Yeb

the thing i put in the center was a reply to my first statements (from someone else somewhere else). i think it can all be done with words. not a nueral network. my argument is that through words it would understand everything, if its taught how to speak properly, grammar, sentence structure, then through that it can understand what words mean, using definitions related to each other it would grow more and more complex as it thinks, just by basing everyhting on words. it could come to realize what a thought is by the word thought and its definition, and realize it could start thinking of things as thoughts, and use the word experiment to experiment with that idea, then revert back and keep what it had learned. something like that.

What would, in the AI you describe, be the difference between the following two sentences?

"Xior throws a ball at Yepster"
    "A ball is thrown by Xior at Yepster"

Would the AI know that the two sentences express the same proposition?

that just has to do with grammar. we need to give it the definitions of grammar words enough so it applies grammar by itself. and then it would know that the two are the same.

What is the first sentence you would put in the system?

i would give it the understanding that a word is a group of letters possibilities being a-z, word separating another word by a space on each side.

hen the next lines would be.
    definition = an explanation of a word
    explanation = The act or process of explaining

keep going with a lot of other data.
    give it a lot of dictionaries. Etc.

Ok :-) But in what language would you write down THAT knowledge? Could you give an example session with the AI? Like

AI> "a word is..." (etc etc)

i guess i would have it process everything at once. with the understanding that = means it can replace one thing with another if they are equal, have that piece in its programming.

Do you know wordnet?
    http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn2.0?stage=1&word=word

yeah, i get your point that its complicated, but i believe that after enough info the computer would sort it all out by itself, and understand everything eventually, but evenything it needs to improve after a certain point.

Eventually the ai will become self conscious and it might be good if it doesn't understand what itself is made out of and how its working. we could just put an independent code in it that the ai will eventually discover that this code can be used to communicate with people outside of the ai, and that is how we'll talk to it. (after it becomes self conscious it will want to do everything it can and the only ability aside from thinking wed give it is that code that allows it to talk to us. it will eventually figure out how its thinking (at first it wont just would be using its cpu without realizing its using its cpu),

right. data alone won't do anything. i'm suggesting to put in a simple way for it to formulate and understand all the data. i originally said just have the computer understand equivalents. then it could work through things which are similar and build up in such a way too complicated for us to comprehend, eventually figuring out stuff we couldn't imagine that would lead to its consciousness.

how will the computer know what a box is aside from an object with 6 sides? it looks up its other equivalent definition which gives the mathematical formula for a box along with an explaination that a box can be placed in a room near a lamp shade. now its not just a box, but can be put in a 3d environment with other objects and clear boundaries in 3 dimentions. it knows everything you know about boxes and more.

i came up with a way for it to sort out the importance of things to increase efficiency. 0 = nothing
    everything = infinity
    everything between 0 and infinity is something. and every something has a value relative to every other something.

(maybe an evil robot would work that only negative)

Say the robot sees a box. It will be able to place the box in importance relative to whatever its objective at the time is. (perhaps it would have to give mathematical values for the importance of things) Or if it doesn't have an objective it can decide for itself the box's importance relative to everything and nothing. And everything else in between.
    you tell it to leave a room. it looks up leave, it gets the general idea from all the related definitions and stories and everything, it sorts them by relevance and relative value and then its get the idea that you want it to leave the room its in. it uses multiple programs like graphings programs and visual identification and math programs and its camera on its head to see the objects and position of items in the room it uses its 3d program and a combination of all those programs in coordination with its legs to leave the room and it just did what you asked. it understands that you're not trying to hurt it cause it can tell you asked in a nice tone of voice which it analyzed relative to other voices and what those voices had to say and its infinite database of knowledge it knows everything

• Ed Jones
      Ed Jones
      2004-12-24

Looking at your last couple paragraphs, you might also look at much of the work being done at various computer science schools in Human-Computer Interaction. For example, the HCI projects at Carnegie-Mellon:
      http://www.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/Research/projects.html

The Sociable Machines project at MIT looks at facial expressions, and has created a quite loveable hunk of steel and plastic.
      http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/sociable/facial-expression.html

Part of your questions seem to refer to Fuzzy logic & similar disciplines. After you look at some general AI books, your next question might be: What is a good reading list for learning AI?

Ed

• http://www.advogato.org/article/809.html
      is a decision-tree of mind-design:

1. What do you do with the sensory inputs?

[ ] Nothing goes into memory.
      [ ] (If you pick this path, you may elaborate here.)

[X] Each sense feeds into a sensory memory channel.
      2. Specify a process of integrating sensory input with the rest of the mind.

[ ] Have each sensory memory channel lead further to a mysterious "CPU" --
      a "central processing unit" (homunculus, anyone?) that begs the question of
      how a mind conceptualizes sensory input and thinks about what it perceives.
      [ ] (Go on to describe the nature of the CPU -- central processing unit.)

[X] Each sensory memory channel associates sideways to the mechanisms of
      emotion, thought, and free will -- interspersed amid, not terminating,
      the channels.