Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

More microtheories? Probably true?

Anonymous
2013-04-15
2013-05-28

• Anonymous
    2013-04-15

I am using OpenCyc with computer vision software to answer questions about scenes. I wondered whether anyone has made available additional assertions (possibly saved as a microtheory?) to go beyond what is in OpenCyc? I would just like to know what else is available.
    Is there any way in CycL to represent that a fact is usually or probably true? For example, most dogs have tails, so if I want to know if a tail is present and I know a dog is present, I can guess that a tail is likely present.

• There is a predicate in OpenCyc which we use for this purpose, namely, visualDepictionsOfTypeContainType-CeterisParibus.

For example, we use that predicate to declare facts like the following:

(visualDepictionsOfTypeContainType-CeterisParibus DogShow Dog),

which means "Visual depictions of dog shows usually also contain depictions of dogs," and

(visualDepictionsOfTypeContainType-CeterisParibus Dog     (SubcollectionOfWithRelationFromTypeFn ExternalAnatomicalPart anatomicalParts Dog)),

which means, "Visual depictions of dogs usually also contain depictions of external anatomical parts of dogs." 

• Anonymous
    2013-04-15

That's very interesting to know. After reading your comment I did a query for (#$visualDepictionsOfTypeContainType-CeterisParibus ?X #$Dog)  in OpenCyc under the default MT and it didn't return anything. How can I find any things that have actually already been defined using this predicate?

• Anonymous
    2013-04-15

I also tried (anatomicalParts Dog ?X) and it didn't come up with anything. I don't know whether this is because I am using the wrong MT or no one has defined the anatomical parts of a dog.

• OpenCyc contains the full set of Cyc concepts and *some* of the information about these concepts including their taxonomic relationships, some English strings for them, and some links to other ontologies or data sources.  However, it does not contain Cyc's full knowledge base, i.e., all the semantic information and rules that Cyc has about these terms.  We do offer a Research License to the complete Cyc KB for government, academic, and commercial research organizations, so please see http://www.cyc.com/platform/overview for more info.

• Anonymous
    2013-04-15

I am a CS graduate student at the University of Maryland, which I see has a researchCyc license. I will try to figure out how to go about using that.