Hopeless

amanda
2011-11-03
2013-05-30
  • amanda
    amanda
    2011-11-03

I am a master student working on my master thesis where i would like to simulate growth using FBA, robustness analysis etc for this the COBRA toolbox seemed perfect. But (after 3 days of intensive trying, reading the READ ME and google searching) i still have not succeeded installing COBRA or any of the other required toolboxes.
    I have reached the point where i feel like a complete idiot, i have previously worked with BioOpt without problems, but this seems hopeless. I am using Matlab R2010a 32-bit (maci) on Mac OS X Lion 10.7 so my question is if this in fact is difficult and i should try to get hold of a computer with windows or if you have some advice that can help me?

Kind Regards Amanda

• Daniel Hyduke
    Daniel Hyduke
    2011-11-03

You're difficulties are probably due to using a 32-bit version of matlab on lion.  The easy fix is to install the 64-bit version of matlab.  Otherwise, you'll have to deal with compiling and linking issues that might not seem easy to you if you don't have experience with such activities.

To get your solvers to work you'll need to compile the interfaces (glpkmex for glpk or gurobi mex for gurobi) or pay big $$ for a tomlab license and hope that they have binaries that match your needs.  The first thing you'll need is a compiler, you can get Xcode from apple, however, I believe there might be problems with using the Xcode (4.x series) that is designed for lion to compile some mex files.  To compile your mex file, you'll need to download and install your software (glpk or gurobi) and make sure that you get a 32-bit version (I don't know if gurobi has this).  Then you need to build the mex files, unfortunately I think there might have been some issues with Xcode so it might not just work and if you don't have experience in this area then it might try your patience.