Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

OB For Small Service Business?

2011-11-06
2013-04-24
  • fullmoonguru
    fullmoonguru
    2011-11-06

I have a small (3 employees) mostly service business in the construction industry.  We are very heavy on project management.  We currently use Quickbooks for finances, web2Project for PM, and TimeTrex for payroll, the latter two installed on a LAMP server.  Ideally I would like to be running everything in an ERP of course, but don't know if I'll ever find one that matches the capabilities of a PM tool like w2P.  For now though, I really want to ditch QB & it would be great if I could integrate payroll as well.

My questions are:

1. Is OB easy enough to implement to make it doable for a company this small?

2. Is the community version suitable for a small company like this, or will I end up with most of what I want, but not having access to modules that I need without stepping up?

3. Will the payroll module ever be available for the community version?  What decides weather modules are available for the community version or not?

4. If OB is not suitable for a company like mine, is there a suggested alternative?  The choices are rather dizzying and it's hard to evaluate without having ERP experience.

• Mikey
    Mikey
    2012-03-25

fullmoonguru, I'm in the same boat as you were a few months ago. Small electrical company (4 employees) looking for a way to better manage our accounting, crm and erp. I'm wondering if you made any decisions or found anything that could help me on my path. I've looked at Openbravo's demo and videos. It looks promising but it is difficult to install unless you use the prepackaged cd.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.