Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Open Cobol for Z/OS MVS Data

The Lounge
2014-02-07
2014-03-03
  • Klaus Schäfer
    Klaus Schäfer
    2014-02-07

I work at a company in Germany and we have Millions of Records old Data until ca year 1985. Now, in future we moved our Production-Data to SAP CRM and SAP-Core. The old data is nessacery in future but then we don`t have a Z/OS anymore. I used now your famous open cobol to move the data to a linux-server and with the possibilities of the Screen Section i wrote some programs with a TUI that looks like the old programs from the Z/OS. Your Compiler ist a very good tool for production-Data. The only eroor y found was not your Compiler - it was me self.
    Please excuse my bad english but i lerned it before ca 40 years and that is a long time....
    Thank yout and Greetings from good old Germany

• Other options:

Install Hercules v3.10 and /or install Turnkey MVS 3.8J (to update 3) under Linux and transfer all of your data tapes via AWS into system then access it.#You can of course use the IBM Cobol compiler that is with MVS or better still install GNU Cobol v2.1 into Linux and transfer between the MVS system and Linux native.

The later is what I am playing with at the moment.

• Brian Tiffin
        Brian Tiffin
        2014-02-08

Vince; You've been mentioning Hercules of late and I'd like to ask how stable you find it?

I did the install as documented in http://www.opencobol.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=1444&forum=1 but I found after 3 or 4 COBUCLG submits I'd have to rebuild the emulator, back to boostrap. Not sure it'd make a comfortable 'work' environment as I could never get a reliably persistent DASD image. Just curious. I didn't spend much time past Hello, world and documenting the experience before setting it down.

Cheers,
        Brian

Last edit: Brian Tiffin 2014-02-08
        • Sorry for the delay but only just seen this. Don't seem to be getting these posts despite on the lists.

Brian, yes have installed hercules 3.10 to have a wee play but then found the Turnkey system tk4-.update 4 which includes v4.00.

Turnkey is a ready to play system utilising MVS 3.8J with a mode 24 memory model that works out of the box under Linux (& windows but have not tried that one).

Have set up baby RJE using a script that takes a PC jcl straight into MVS and along with x3270 works fairly well. There are issues with the Cobol ANSI compiler set to produce 'XREF' so I am using the original cobxref to do that.

Having some issues over the last day or two and not sure why but could be my rusty JCL when trying to run from a PDS and take the cobol source (to be xref'd) from a PDS it is abend.ing with no o/p including jcl etc.

I might have broken it :)
          I am using RAKF so could be there somewhere. Hopefully will try a fresh install and not hack with RAKF and not play around with any cobol stored procs and see if issue re-occurs. Up to that point it was running for 6-7 days and I was able to connect to it via the internet having secured the main user passwords from the defaults using a tablet, phone (forget it unless your eyes are 40+/20) and a TV.

It has come on a lot since 2008 :)

The only drawback if you do not have access to a current m/f s/w stack is use MVS 3.8J and that's from the 70's but GCC is on it all we have to do next is get OC v2.1 to work but that is NOT a simple task.

Vince.

• Simon Sobisch
    Simon Sobisch
    2014-02-08

Hi Klaus,

sounds good. Please consider upgrading to the latest stable release GNU Cobol 1.1 (found in the download area).

One thing I didn't understand in your post: Do you "work" with the data in the new linux environment or is it just for "view only"?

Simon

Last edit: Simon Sobisch 2014-02-08
  • Klaus Schäfer
    Klaus Schäfer
    2014-02-14

My transfer from old Mainframe-Data is complete for now. A wrote a little cobol-subroutine for the converting task. There exists some copie in the net that can do the job, but the problem are for example the german "umlauts". My Routine reads a file with two records - one in ebcdic and one in ascii and makes a simble inspect field from - to. I think it can be useful for others, if then have the same work to do - porting Mainfraime-Data to unix. When you need another Translation - no programchange or compiling must be done. Simply editing the file with a Hex-Editor can do the job. My goal is - everythin witch can be variable should not be in a program. It shoud be in a file.

Attachments
  • Sergio Samayoa
    Sergio Samayoa
    2014-02-21

This is a very nice success story for GNU-COBOL.

@Klaus: Can you bring more details such file count, record count, programs converted from cobol/CICS (just guessing, please clarify)?

Regards.

• Klaus Schäfer
    Klaus Schäfer
    2014-02-25

there are at this time 5 files
    First file 400.000 records
    Second 765.500 records
    third 1.500.000 records
    forth 740.000 recors and
    fifth 1.700.000 records.
    For CICS there were about 5 - 10 programs for showing the Data on
    the screen - my open-Cobol Solution is packed in one program with sume
    subprograms for converting and formatting the data. The response-time is a dream. Showing the data is so fast, that you have not the time to put the finger back from the return-key before seeing the result. In the 80s we hat
    many small cics-programs, because Mainstorage was a problem. In the days now Mainstorage is no problem and linux uses it very well. We hat response-times of about 0,5 to one second in CICS but with open cobol an a 3Ghz-mashine with 1 G Ram it is much faster and this mashine does other work too.

• Brian Tiffin
    Brian Tiffin
    2014-02-25

Klaus, et al. It was pointed out that a screenshot contained some potentially sensitive information. Klaus, we can talk, but I've removed it.

Sadly, I can't figure out where in SourceForge admin deleting attachments is hidden, so I had to remove the post too. I have archives Klaus, so if I'm being overly cautious, we can put things back. It is a pretty nice SCREEN SECTION screenshot.

Sincerely,
    Brian

Last edit: Brian Tiffin 2014-02-25
  • Klaus Schäfer
    Klaus Schäfer
    2014-02-26

It's OK to remove the Screenshot. You ar right - but this data was about 30 years old and adresses you can find in any telephone-Register and the other data is only important for persons, who know what it means. But it is better to remove the Screenshot. Thank you

Greetings from Germany
    Klaus

• Klaus Schäfer
    Klaus Schäfer
    2014-02-26

I will try to make a new Screenshot with Test-Data so nobody can do anything with this data. I'll change the names to names from horses - so it is anonym.

• Brian Tiffin
      Brian Tiffin
      2014-02-26

Yeah Klaus, sorry, wasn't sure, but leaned toward cautious, just in case.

It is a pretty cool screenshot and worthy of display.

Cheers,
      Brian

• Klaus Schäfer
    Klaus Schäfer
    2014-02-27

Here are now two screenshots of my application. They are both in one file.
    The first is the search-menue with activatet pop-up Windows wich you get, if you press the f1-key (help). There comes a short information, how to use this panel. The second is then detail-view of a selectec customer. I modified the original data to make it anonymous. Now there is absolutly nothing real to see and therefore no security-issuses anymore. It's only test-data.

Attachments