Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

opencobol and web services

Anonymous
2013-11-08
2014-08-08

• Anonymous
    2013-11-08

Hi all.. is there a way to manage webservices using Opencobol ?

Federico

Last edit: Brian Tiffin 2013-11-08
  • Simon Sobisch
    Simon Sobisch
    2013-11-08

Hi Federico,

if you're fine with setting up a webserver (Apache, IIS, ...) and run COBOL as CGI you have everything you need as a starting point.

Depending on what you want to do you can either use the likely-not-a-security-problem-at-all ISAM or use one of the database libraries.

Simon

• Anonymous
      2014-01-06

I just started a little project here.
      https://github.com/addinall?tab=repositories
      COBWEB. A little FLUID and responsive Web builder in OpenCOBOL. It's quite simple. I stuff the CSS3 themes into COPYBOOKs and grab the right one on the value of
      ACCEPT css-theme FROM ENVIRONMENT

I am going to use ISAM, as it seems it is treny again and has been given a new name; "noSQL" along with BIGDATA, B+ Tree INDICES and renting CPU cycles to people! We have come the full circle!

I have a little web page up on my dev server already working. Ugly as. So I'll pretty it up and stick it up on a public server in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
      Adds.

• Anonymous
    2014-08-05

Hi, Im new to Cobol and try to run the cgi sample on my win7 64 bit iis server. Therefore I have copied the cobol exe and the dlls ( from the bindir of the cobolide) into the cgi directory.
    But now luck. I don't get any resonse from the cgi to the webpage. But the executable is running in a console. Is there a howto, how to run cobol cgis on a iis7 with win7 64 bit ?

Thx
    Rainer

• Simon Sobisch
    Simon Sobisch
    2014-08-05

The binaries from cobolide are quite old and I'm not sure if they work at all. If possible I'd recompile 2.0 branch from svn (needs VisualStudio [Express versions work too] or MinGW/Cygwin).

I guess the call to cobcrun / the main code doesn't work. I'd suggest to first run cobcrun without any commands and capture stdour/stderr to see if this is working.

Simon

• Anonymous
    2014-08-06

Hello Simon,
    Thx. Will try that.
    Rainer

• Anonymous
    2014-08-07

The binaries from cobolide are quite old and I'm not sure if they work at all. If possible I'd recompile 2.0 branch from svn (needs VisualStudio [Express versions work too] or MinGW/Cygwin).

Is there a way to download the binaries of 2.0 branch, build with vs. Otherwise I have to setup a complete vs workstation.

Thx
    Rainer

Btw: Im planning to refactor my running web app ( delivers static output from database queries) with OpenCobol as the appserver. Is this the way one should go, or better use Vala, Python together with OpenCobol ?

• Brian Tiffin
      Brian Tiffin
      2014-08-08

I vote going with COBOL. ;-)

Opinion piece

Use Vala for prototyping and accessing larger (and technically challenging) frameworks with existing bindings (GTK Webkit for instance). Python, same; leverage it for access to existing toolkits.

From the point of view of COBOL being master, and all others are embedded.

See [e7198093#6145] for one blurb on a COBOL web toolkit modeled on the Fossil SCM, an all in, command and plugin processor. Soon there will be a cobweb release with the server side built in (currently based on libmicrohttpd) and, if it pans out, it will also act as a browser (with the aforementioned GTK Webkit embedded). Barely a few hundred lines of COBOL and cobweb is already testing out quite well in the Cloud as a Juju charm.

Cheers,
      Brian

Related

Discussion: more cobweb

• Simon Sobisch
    Simon Sobisch
    2014-08-07

I may upload a work in progress version of binaries. But as 2.0 branch has all visual studio solutions in it's not a big point - cobc still needs a C compiler and if you have VS binaries you would need VS anyway...

I'm not sure why you want Vala and Phyton in a COBOL as CGI web app. Why do you think about this (I likely don't understand what you want to achieve)?

Simon

• Anonymous
    2014-08-08

Hello Simon,
    if I can do it with Opencobol the better.
    Now I have a app with a html interface which serves data from a database and a search form which pushes html on the fly.
    Maybe its a better report output, but it makes everybody happy who is using it, because it saves a lot of time to search in pdfs, excel sheets,...

Thx again for all the work you have spent into this project.
    Rainer ( Germany - South- )

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments