GNU Cobol project lead

GnuCOBOL
2014-07-30
2014-08-06
  • Brian Tiffin
    Brian Tiffin
    2014-07-30

Simon Sobisch has graciously accepted the title of GNU Cobol project lead.

He's been very effective in the role already, humbly working in the background, and this is to announce it officially.

Many, many thanks to Simon for all his efforts, skill and professionalism so far, and with this, some recognition.

He and I are still the two active GNU maintainers, but as of today, Simon is formally in charge.

Sincerely,
    Brian

• Brian
    Brian
    2014-08-06

congrats coming from my side too @ Simon !
    I really appreciate your effort.

I'd like to ask some questions regarding the future development of GNUC:

(1) fileiorewrite has been updated a lot lately. what has been introduced? any news about how an upcoming animator/debugger will look like/work?

(2) is the bug tracker up to date? I've seen a bunch of old entries which are still open

(3) what will 2.0 RC additionally offer us?

(4) why haven't you created a paypal (or anything similar) account for donations yet? :P

best wishes,
    Brian

Last edit: Brian 2014-08-06
    • Simon Sobisch
      Simon Sobisch
      2014-08-06

As requested: you can find donation information in [8b95234b]. Thank you for whatever amount you choose to donate.

Simon

Related

Discussion: 8b95234b

• Simon Sobisch
    Simon Sobisch
    2014-08-06

To 1, Part A) was answered by Joe in Contributions area.
    To 1, Part B) For a first idea have a look at OCEAN, likely we will remove most of the limits. But integration will needs weeks if not months. Later on we'll add a debugging interface via sockets and therefore the debugging frontend is not limited to the textual interface (could be coded for eclipse, Notepad++, ... or an own frontend via QT, GTK, webinterface, ...) as soon as someone will code and publish the interface.

To 2) Yes. The 1.x issues are on hold. Many items are already "in progress", even if they're not marked as such.

To 3) Mostly current 2.0 branch, in the end 2.0 branch [likely placed at trunk before 2.0 RC], together with the work-in-progress issues. Definitely no animator/debugger (too much changes), maybe splitkeys, likely more test cases.

To 4) I just have seen that SourceForge removed their donation links... You're free to donate to any person, I'll set my Paypal to accept donations via my user profile within the next 2 days.

Simon

Last edit: Simon Sobisch 2014-08-06
  • Brian
    Brian
    2014-08-06

alright. thanks for revealing that information.
    feeling a lot smarter now ;)

best wishes,
    Brian