Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Converting MIS files to BSPs or VMFs

2010-02-11
2013-04-29
  • Steven Skomski
    Steven Skomski
    2010-02-11

This may sound like kind of a dumb question, but you guys appear to know how the Dark Engine really works, and I need a little help with something.

I need to know how to convert the BSP data from MIS files into something that the Source Engine's "Hammer" can use and manipulate. I know that DromEd can generate BSP data from it's maps, but I don't know how to use it to recreate the map. I asked someone in an SS2 IRC channel, and they said that theoretically, this is possible. They had me look up GenVBR, which has been extinct for quite some time, and I'm not sure how that would help me, but then he suggested I contact you guys. What do you think? Could a MIS to VMF conversion be possible? If so, how? I really need to figure this out so I don't have to recreate each map from scratch.

Thank you,
    Steven Skomski.

• Filip Volejnik
    Filip Volejnik
    2010-02-16

It is theoretically possible, yes. The question is if the two editors are compatible. The compiled map will probably be of a little use to you, as it is highly platform specific. I could still show you how to dig out the polygons one after another - if this is enough for you…

Maybe it would be better to start with the brush list (these are the editing side geometric primitives that form the level), here the perl scripts would do a better job, we currently have a little to no use for brush lists so we are not manipulating them in any way. I don't know much about VMF so I can't tell you without studying the format first if this would be simple or hard.

I'll try to look at VMF and come back with more info, it all highly depends on the compatibility of these two.

• Steven Skomski
    Steven Skomski
    2010-02-17

Thank you for getting back to me! :)

Any help is much appreciated. I just want to speed up and simplify the conversion of some SS2 maps from MIS to VMF. Any ways that you can come up with I would be willing to try.