Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

OpenDromed

2009-07-14
2013-04-29
  • Albert hamik
    Albert hamik
    2009-07-14

Well, I know that there has been discussion about this between most of the developers on this project, but I just wanted to see if I could help for coming up with a rough plan by bringing up one major concern I have thought of: Considering, from what I've learned, that the file system for DE (Dark Engine) is well known, and the countless #'s of fans (including myself) who hardly ever touch Dromed due to its many bugs and/or the fact that its overall interface is a bit disenchanting to even the most dedicated of Thief/SS2 fans who've, as of yet, never made an FM/Campaign.

Now that I've gotten this off my shoulders, I just wanted to know if any of the current developers have thought of this, and have had small ideas for how this could be handled. Me? well, I was thinking along the lines of a sort of Google Sketchup meets the Cube 2 engine.

• Albert hamik
      Albert hamik
      2009-07-14

Oh, a little bit of a run-on typo, sorry about that, but I'm certain I've made my point.

• Albert hamik
        Albert hamik
        2009-07-20

Oh, well I guess you guys have. I downloaded the latest source code from the link provided in the develop page (I am amazed I was able to get as far as successfully figuring out how to use subversion on windows). It says in the TODO file that the proposed name would be... CamelED?

Eh, I guess I was successfully able to find the answer to my own question :P

Though I'd like to hear from the devs on here, if they have any little thing they want to add...

• Filip Volejnik
          Filip Volejnik
          2009-07-20

I certainly want to start working on a Dromed replacement some time later, it could be even possible to do this as a side project to opde itself - I'd like to include a SDK type of distribution package (and it could also be written in python)

Details are not yet planned, it is too early to consider anything besides the fact that we would like to work on it. I'd like to see something a bit more modern and flexible than dromed is, we should be able to provide realtime portalization/lighting recalculation for example, make the interface more productive by basing it on plugins, usage of 3d hardware itself would be improvement over the software renderer in dromed... I'd love to include debug log window, script debuger, integrated editor for scripts, etc. Users of Dromed should be the ones to ask what they want best...