Runtime Files

Lee Peedin
2005-02-23
2012-08-14
  • Lee Peedin
    Lee Peedin
    2005-02-23

I noticed in the 3.0.0 Beta that the runtime files were not included. Will these be included in the first non-beta release?

• Thanks, Rick. I used to work for IBM, by the way. I know your name from IBMPC ad IBMVM, and I notice that there are several other old VM/CMS hands here. Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Any chance of an ooRexx "compiler" emerging?

Weyland "IBMTEXT" Yutani

• Rick McGuire
        Rick McGuire
        2006-06-07

All it would take is somebody deciding to write one :-) That's the way open source works.

I've given some thought to possibly using a JIT like Java does, but JITs have a nasty problem of not being terribly portable across hardware platforms. We've got enough things on our wishlist to keep us busy for years to come as it is.

• Rick McGuire
      Rick McGuire
      2005-02-23

There's not much point for a crippled run-time only version of the interpreter any more, since that was a licensing issue. The conversion utility rexxrt will be included, although under a different name that more accurately reflects its function...it was removed in the first place because the name fooled somebody (who will remain nameless :-)) into thinking it was part of the runtime-only package.

• Lee Peedin
      Lee Peedin
      2005-03-04

Thanks for the reply Rick, I kinda guested that the Runtimes would not be necessary any longer, since anyone could download the interpreter. As far as rexxrt - yes, it does need a different name. :-)

• Weyland Yutani
      Weyland Yutani
      2006-06-06

I downloaded ooRexx a few days ago (thank you, IBM), and am loving every minute of it, except the runtime enigma.

The Programming Guide says, in Appendix B, "Object Rexx Runtime is part of the Open Object Rexx distribution. It is a software package that can be
      distributed together with your own Rexx applications so that they can run on your client’s computer."

But I can't find this packsge. Where is it, what's its name, and what am I supposed to do with it?

Please help. Thank you.

• David Ashley
      David Ashley
      2006-06-06

The documentation is currently in error. That section will be removed from the docs in the next beta release.

After all, this is an open source project and there is really no need for a crippled runtime for ooRexx.

• Weyland Yutani
      Weyland Yutani
      2006-06-07

Thank you, David.

So I guess that means that ooRexx has to be installed on any computer where any ooRexx program needs to run. Is that the case?

• Rick McGuire
        Rick McGuire
        2006-06-07

That was true even when the runtime was available. The difference now is you get a real Rexx interpreter instead of a crippled version that can't run new programs.

Rick