Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Debian Etch Installation

Help
xt4mhz
2007-10-02
2013-05-01
  • xt4mhz
    xt4mhz
    2007-10-02

Hi.

I hope somebody can help me.

I downloaded "OOOP_2.2.0_070417_unxlngi6_install.tar.gz". After I extracted a few "debs" came out. I didnt see any "README" or something to install de package or to read some advices.

I have Debian Etch with OpenOffice 2.0.4. I am interested in use Oxygen but I dont know if I have to uninstall the openoffice that comes with Debian Etch.

Do I have to uninstall Open Office installed by default ?
    That is the sequence to install all "debs" ?...or just have to "dpkg -i *.deb" ?
    Besides templates and graphics: why I should use Oxygen instead Open Office 2.0.4 ?

Thanks a lot.

xt4mhz

• xt4mhz
      xt4mhz
      2007-10-03

Well ... after a big fight downloading the package I can answer by myself some questions:

1. "Do I have to uninstall Open Office installed by default ?"
      Yes, I uninstalled all packages related with previos version of OpenOffice that comes with Etch.
      How?
      I did: "aptitude purge openoffice.org"
      Checked if there was another packages doing: "aptitude search openoffice
      Uninstalled any package related with openoffice.org.

2) "That is the sequence to install all "debs" ?...or just have to "dpkg -i *.deb" ? "
      Yes. I did: "dpkg -i *.deb"
      Then changed to "desktop-integration" folder and did the same thing.

3) Besides templates and graphics: why I should use Oxygen instead Open Office 2.0.4 ?
      I have no idea yet. I will get into oxygen deeply to see what can I find.

Thanks.

• dinger1986
        dinger1986
        2007-10-03

Sorry for not replying, i would personnally have suggested you leave openoffice on and simply install the extensions for openoffice, save yourself the hassle. But you have done it so its all good, again i apologise for not getting back sooner.

Regards,
        Daniel

• Simply running:

# ./update

should work (and does work in OpenOffice), but it does not work in OxygenOffice.  Doing so made my OpenOffice/OxygenOffice installation completely non-functional.  I too will do a complete uninstall:

# apt-get remove openoffice*

for those who don't run aptitude.

> i would personnally [sic] have suggested you leave openoffice on and simply install the extensions for openoffice

Where are the instructions for this...and does that enable the M$Office 2007 compatibility?

Thanks,  It looks interesting.

Lance

• I uninstalled OpenOffice & installed OxygenOffice; it still did not work at all. 

$ ./openoffice.org2.4

returns:

/etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/javaldx: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libuno_sal.so.3)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/javaldx: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libuno_cppu.so.3)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/javaldx: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libuno_cppuhelpergcc3.so.3)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/javaldx: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libjvmfwk.so.3)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/javaldx: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libstdc++.so.6)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/javaldx: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libstlport_gcc.so)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/pagein: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/pagein)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/pagein: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libstdc++.so.6)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/oosplash.bin: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/oosplash.bin)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/oosplash.bin: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libuno_sal.so.3)
      /etc/openoffice.org2.4/program/oosplash.bin: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libstdc++.so.6)

I believe Debian Etch includes 2.2, not 2.4, so it seems that OxygenOffice is not compatible with the currently stable version of Debian.  Genuine OpenOffice does not share this problem.

Lance