Problems "Export as Full Daisy"

Help
Anonymous
2011-01-31
2015-03-13

• Anonymous
    2011-01-31

Saving a Writer document using "Export as Daisy" works fine.

Saving a Writer document using "Export as Full Daisy" hangs showing the progress bar with following message:

Pipeline Job Progress
    Running TTS Narrator (DAISY XML ti DAISY Book)…
    SpeechGen2

It ist possible to close the document but the progress does not disappear.

When killing the process using task manager an error message similar to "No reaction from Java Platform SE" appears.

System: Windows 7, 64 Bit; Open Office 3.1, German version

• Hi,
    The SpeechGen2 process sometimes hangs for reasons that are not clear yet. We need example documents that fail to convert.

Closing the document does not exit the conversion progress dialog because the conversion progress is independent of OpenOffice.org Writer. What happens is that odt2daisy hands over the conversion process to the DAISY Pipeline Lite.

Can you provide an example document that causes the SpeechGen process to hang?

• Anonymous
    2011-09-21

I am confirming this behaviour (Windows 7, 64 Bit, Open Office 3.1, German). It does not depend on the contents of the document. Even a single line of text hangs with the follwing screen:

Pipeline Job Progress
    Running TTS Narrator (DAISY XML to DAISY Book)…
    SpeechGen2

The only option is "Cancel".

Franz

• Hi Franz,

I am actually surprised that the DAISY Pipeline runs at all on your system. My colleague has a 64-bit Windows 7 system with a 64-bit Java VM (when he types "java -version" on the command line, one of the lines in the output contains "Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM"). When he tries to use odt2daisy, the DAISY Pipeline Lite simply does not launch; the log file contains the following info: 'Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 32-bit SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM.'
    Another colleague with Windows Vista Business and Java 1.6.0 has never been able to convert any documents to Full DAISY; the Pipeline also hangs during the SpeechGen2 phase. The cause of this is unclear.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

• Hi Franz,

Could you try running the Pipeline Lite from the command line and tell me if it progresses and terminates normally? To do this, you first export and ODT file to DAISY XML. Then you open the command line, go to the folder where the pipeline lite is installed and use a command like this (from my Windows XP system):

C:\&lt;pipelineFolder>> pipeline-lite.exe -x -s "scripts\DAISY Pipeline TTS Narrator.taskScript" -p  input="//C:/Documents and Settings/<userAccount>/Desktop/odt2daisy/YourDaisyXMLFile.xml" outputPath=//C:/Documents and Settings/<userAccount>/Desktop/odt2daisy/YourDaisyXMLFileDir.full doSentDetection=true dtbookFix=REPAIR_TIDY_NARRATOR bitrate=32  "C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;userAccount>\.pipeline-lite\"

* On Windows 7  the folder "Documents and Settings" is now called "Users" (English version), or something similar in German (Benutzer?).
    * <userAccount> should be replaced by your user name on your PC.
    * <pipelineFolder> is the folder where the DAISY Pipeline Lite is installed. (On my Windows XP system, it can be found at C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;userAccount>\.pipeline-lite> ).
    * YourDaisyXMLFile.xml is the ODT file you exported to DAISY XML.
    * The output path is the folder where the DAISY book should end up, but nothing gets created there on my system. (But the point here is to see if the DAISY Pipeline process runs normally.)

Thanks in advance,
    Christophe

• Hello. Had a similar problem (Win 8.1, 64 bit). I found the following comment to be very helpful: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2688932/configure-launch4j-to-use-32-bit-jvm-only/12622118#12622118
    Uninstalling all 64 bit JREs and re-installing a clean 32 bit JRE helped on my computer.
    So for the future the usage of the pipeline-lite under windows should be improved by using WinRun4J instead of Launch4J and adopting its call by the extension.