Application Error on Restore

2010-02-27
2013-04-24
  • swilliams1963
    swilliams1963
    2010-02-27

I have a PC running Windows XP sp3, and added a hard drive to back up too, and backed up the C drive using the snapshot mode. Everything went well and the files, mbr and img, was created. I did a verify and that passed. I added onther hard drive which was larger than my original, and tried to do a restore to it. I get a waring saying becuase the partitions are differnt size the resulting partition will be corrupt. I assume I can fix that post restore. I then continue with the restore by clicking yes, and get an application error. Any idea what is going on?

• JensH
    JensH
    2010-03-01

This is something that should not happen with a backup program. It's the first time that a user reports that a backup image can't be restored. Does the crash happen right at the beginning of the restore process or is the progress indicator already past 0%? Are you sure that the hard drive is working well outside of ODIN?

• swilliams1963
    swilliams1963
    2010-03-02

Hello. It turns out I could restore in the end. Here is the sequence of what happened:

1. backed up to IMG and MBR files, everything went OK
    2. verified the backup files, everything went OK
    3. selected a new drive to restore too which was larger. Got the warning message about the destination partition being larger than the original. Immediately got application error after clicking OK to the warning message. (no percent complete displayed)
    4. open up windows disk manager and see a partition was created of a size to match the smaller backup
    5. do a quick format of the new partition using windows disk manager
    6. restart ODIN and select restore again, picking the MBR file. This time the restore operation executes and completes
    7. use a 3rd party program to extend the partition out to the full drive capacity

• JensH
    JensH
    2010-03-03

Great to hear that you have been successful in the end. This is very valuable feedback that might help others to overcome the problems. I suspect that there are some race conditions or so when partitioning the disk. Probably the disk/volume is not ready when the restore begins. I have tested this 100 times but mainly with virtual machines. I fear that this is an area where dependencies to specific driver implementations show up. I will review the code again. Its really time to add a logging facility to the application….

• swilliams1963
    swilliams1963
    2010-03-03

If you add loggin in the next week or so I can restest and send you the log.

• Max Goodman
    Max Goodman
    2010-06-10

I'd like to report that I'm getting similar issues but have noticed a couple of differences on how ODIN crashes depending on the target restore drive.

My setup is a windows XP SP3 box. My source drive is a 80 gig WD Raptor . My Target drive is a Samsung 150gig HD160JJ/P .

I create the image of the source drive using the following settings.
    1. I select \Device\Harddisk0 (entire disk) 75.504GB
    2. Under Options I select: Save only used blocks and take snapshot, No Compression, Store image in one file.
    3. The image is successfully created and outputs a *.mbr file and a *.img file.

If the target restore drive is formatted I get the following sequence:
    1. I click on \Device\Harddisk1 (entire disk) 149.010GB
    2. I click on Start to start to the Restore.
    3. I get the expected "The available disk space on the target drive is larger than the size of the image to restore" I click Yes.
    4. I get "ODIN Executable Module" crash "ODIN Executable Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are Sorry for the inconvenience."
    5. I click on Don't send and the app closes.
    6. I try the restore again using the above steps and get another crash same as in #4 above.
    7. I click on Don't send but this time I get a DRWatson Postmortem Debugger. I click on don't send for this and ODIN hangs. I can't interface with the ODIN UI. If I click the X to close the window, windows gives me and end task option. Sometimes this ends ODIN but other times it does not.

If the target restore drive is NOT formatted, disk management shows unallocated, I get the following sequence:
    1. I click on \Device\Harddisk1 (entire disk) 149.010GB
    2. I click on Start to start to the Restore.
    3. I get the expected "The available disk space on the target drive is larger than the size of the image to restore" I click Yes.
    4. I get "ODIN Executable Module" crash "ODIN Executable Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are Sorry for the inconvenience."
    5. I click on Don't send and the app closes.
    6. ODIN now shows a new Partition on the Target drive, which is the same size as my source drive. I try the restore again, and  I get the same warning as in #3 above
    7. ODIN Starts the restore process which ends up being successful.

Let me know if need more information.