Email Notification

Dipesh
2006-05-11
2013-05-30
  • Dipesh
    Dipesh
    2006-05-11

It will be nice if Openbiblio has email notification facility. Staff can send email to the over due member, to the member who has put a biblio on-hold or to inform the member about the new biblio that is added in the library. Right now I am working to develop this myself.

• Micah Stetson
      Micah Stetson
      2006-05-11

Sounds great.  When it's ready to be shared publicly, let us know.

Micah

• This would be awesome!

• Jack Eapen
      Jack Eapen
      2006-05-15

Hi Micah,
      i already did some work in this line. i'll give you a login name/passwd in a day, to see how it works. what i made is
      1. a link in the circulation nave to show a page where all the current checkouts are listed. if any of them is overduean, an email link will appear against that item. clicking on that link will send an email to the user reminding him/her that the item is overdue and kindly return/reissue it.

2. there will be another link to see all the defauleters and send mail to them one by one or with a single click

i'm not sure about the perofrmance of this script with large nos. of users

3. i also made other two pages-usage history and item history:
         under circulation tab->user details, we can see the usage history of that user.

under cataloging->biblio details, we can see who all issued that item and when they returned it.
      this may be useful for some kind of analysis.

if anybody interested, i can share the files. or if i give u the files, can u add it to the OB demo?

Jack Eapen

• Right now my high school library uses the .pdf Overdue Letters. These are given to the teachers, and they have to distribute them among the students.

We haven't asked the students, but I'm almost sure they would prefer notification for overdue through email. We already have their addresses because our system administrators already have realized automatic synchronization between Openbiblio members and other administrative systems.

Is there a way to prevent unintended spamming of overdue members by library staff? Three mails for each overdue item seems a usual maximum to me.

Oh, and sorry Jack for "abusing" the current Webbiblio demo for testing the Latest Additions functionality. The uploaded records contents contain feedback.

H.

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2006-06-15

Pending a little time for me to audit the code, I don't see a reason for this to be kept out of the main version.  I can't promise how quickly I'll get to it, but if you could send me a link to the code, I'll look at it as soon as I can.

Micah

• Thnaks, Hans for pointing out those errors.
      i'll fix it soon.

Jack

• Jack Eapen
      Jack Eapen
      2006-08-29