MARC Export?

2005-02-04
2013-05-30
  • I am thinking about switching my catalog from Tyrannioware to OpenBiblio.  One of the wonderful things about Tyrannioware is that it keeps all of the MARC data, in addition to loading it into the database.  The result is that (other than worrying about copies and call numbers) I can simply upload my entire bibliography into OpenBiblio.  Is there any way to export MARC data, or save it off as text file on entry?  While I like OpenBiblio a lot, I'd like to make sure I'm not stuck if it becomes abandonware at some point in the future.  Exporting MARC data will make it much easier to switch if I would have to.

• Peter Leschev
      Peter Leschev
      2005-02-04

Hi,

I had the same concern (and I needed to create a catalog in Word as well), so I wrote a patch which provides the ability to export to CSV (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=758409&group_id=50071&atid=458476), this patch hasn't been applied to CVS yet :(

Anyway, this could be extended to export to MARC.

Another option is to use http://www.phpmyadmin.net to export your data.

Regards,
      Peter

• Micah Stetson
      Micah Stetson
      2005-02-04

What Peter says is right on, but I'd just like to add that we are planning to have MARC export in the future.  I actually have most of the code written, but it depends on a lot of architecture changes that aren't integrated yet.

Micah

• Glad to hear a MARC export is planned.

How actively are you working on stuff?
      I ask because I just added a tiny bit to the MARC import to automatically setup the call number.  I've also been looking at how the system handles author names and subjects. 

I really like the easy to use interface of OpenBiblio, and the fact it is in PHP makes it very approachable.  At the same time, when I do a subject search, I like getting back a list of subjects that matched, and a book count, and then being able to drill into the subjects. 

My wife is an English professor and writer.    I did a first pass upload of around 900 marc records last night.  If I do a search on "english" as a subject, I get back 10 pages of results, each showing the title with no categorization.  One of the nice things about the old system I was using is that it would like all of the subject authorities.  A search on english would bring back:

* English drama--20th century. (1)
          * English drama--20th century. (1)
          * English fiction--History and criticism. (1)
          * English fiction--Women authors--History and criticism--Theory, etc. (1)
          * English language--Anecdotes. (1)
          * English language--Dictionaries, Juvenile. (1)
          * English language--Dictionaries--French. (1)
          * English language--Dictionaries--German. (6)
          * English language--Dictionaries--Latin. (1)
          * English language--Dictionaries. (3)
          * English language--Dictionaries. (1)
          * English language--Etymology--Names. (1)
          * English language--Etymology. (2)
          * English language--Euphemism. (1)
          * English language--Examinations--Study guides. (1)
          * English language--Grammar--Handbooks, manuals, etc. (8)
          * English language--Grammar--Problems, exercises, etc. (1)
          * English language--Grammar--Textbooks--Humor. (1)
          * English language--Grammar. (2)
          * English language--Idioms, corrections, errors. (1)
          * English language--Idioms, corrections, errors. (1)
          * English language--Jargon. (1)
          * English language--Lexicography--History--19th century. (1)
          * English language--Obscene words. (1)
          * English language--Paragraphs. (1)
          * English language--Rhetoric--Handbooks, manuals, etc. (8)
          * English language--Rhetoric--Problems, exercises, etc. (10)
          * English language--Rhetoric. (22)
          * English language--Semantics. (1)
          * English language--Sentences. (1)
          * English language--Slang. (1)
          * English language--Style. (1)
          * English language--Synonyms and antonyms. (3)
          * English language--Technical English. (1)
          * English language--Terms and phrases. (1)
          * English language--Textbooks for foreign speakers. (1)
          * English language--United States--Dictionaries. (1)
          * English language--United States--Slang--Psychological aspects. (1)
          * English language--United States--Slang--Social aspects. (1)
          * English language--United States--Synonyms and antonyms. (1)

From there I could choose the subject that I really wanted, and take a look at what is in the collection. 

I've been toying with writing my own subject search to do something similar.  The way that the schema handles subjects though (in the biblio table as opposed to a separate table of authorities) seems a bit cumbersome for what I want to accomplish.

This is not meant to pick on OpenBiblio -- I really like.  Earlier in your post you mentioned architectural changes.  If you're making big changes that will be coming out soon, it may be better for me to hold off on messing around with it.

On a related note -- would you want my patch for Call Numbers?  Basically I added an updateCallNmbr method to the Biblio class that grabs the appropriate fields and stuffs them in using setCallNmbr1 & 2.  I added a few lines to upload_marc to call updateCallNmbr after the MARC data has been unpacked, and to display the call number in the "test" mode.  It's LOC specific, but I suppose I could make it configurable based on a system setting to do LOC, Dewey, or nothing.

--
      Michael T. Garrison Stuber

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2005-02-07

I'm working very actively on OpenBiblio -- it's one of my for-pay jobs right now.  The problem is that I needed to get a lot of changes integrated quickly, so I've made a custom version for my clients.  Nearly all of my work has been on that version.  It is based on 0.4.0, but it's diverged so much that many of the changes will take some work to get into the current codebase.  I continue to work with the other developers on the main version, and I intend to merge my version with the official one as much as possible.  But I don't know exactly when all that will get done.

My current focus in the official version is on making MARC support more robust and fixing security holes.  MARC export fits into that, but it won't appear until 0.6.0 and the database format changes that come with it.

I'm not sure when 0.6.0 will be ready, though.  Dave is completely restructuring the code to separate better the UI look and the program logic.  His new design should make the code a lot cleaner and easier to modify.  It isn't ready for use, though.

Authority lists are something I would really like to see implemented.  If nobody else beats me to it, I will probably do it myself a few months from now.

Handling the call number in MARC import would be great.  Personally, I'd like to be able to specify either on the import page or as an admin option which call number field to grab the info from.  The same comments about patches apply that I made about your subject search: we need help, we want help, but we've got issues that we have to work out within the team before we can effectively accept much help.

I hope that answers a lot of your questions,

Micah

• I decided to push ahead and wrote a subject browser for OpenBiblio this weekend.  Let me know if you want to see it.

--
      Michael T. Garrison Stuber

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2005-02-07

I think that a lot of people would find that useful.  But right now, we're trying to work out the logistics of getting patches approved or disapproved in a timely manner.  Because of that, I can't say exactly when a final decision about including it in the distribution will be made.  But what I would suggest is that you submit the changes to the patch tracker.  That way, I won't forget that you've done this, and people who might need a subject search can see that you've already done the work and maybe apply your patch to their local version.

Thanks for your help!

Micah

• I uploaded both patches.  Let me know what you think.

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2005-02-09

So far, the patches look fine.  I haven't given them any deep testing, just a glance at the code.  If the decision is made to integrate them, we may make a few changes, but overall, they look good.  When I can say more, I'll comment in the tracker on the patches themselves.

Thanks for your help,

Micah

• Mark Wroth
      Mark Wroth
      2005-11-28

I'll add my voice to the request for MARC export; since it's a standard transfer format, it would be good to have in general, but like Nobody/Anonymous - nobody and Peter Leschev, one of my main concerns is being able to change systems later if needed.

I'm also adding a separate thread for a request for additional MARC functionality

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2005-12-14

I'll move it highter on my priority list, but the list is long.  For now, anyone who wants to take a stab at MARC export themselves should email me.  I've got almost all of the code already done, it just needs to be massaged a little to fit in with stock OpenBiblio.

Micah

• I´ve read that OpenBiblio uses the format USMARC, although they have commented to me that the one that is using actualemtne is MARC21, What format uses to import and to export the records?

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2006-01-20

MARC21 and USMARC are two versions of the same format.  I believe the differences between them are small enough that they don't really matter for OpenBiblio.

We do have some problems with our MARC support in general (certain information is lost on import), and export is not in the main distribution yet.  There is someone working on MARC export, but I'm not sure how close it is to completion.

Micah

• I have just installed OpenBiblio and was suprise to notice that the software always refer to "US-MARC".    I admit that USMARC and CANMARC are the same, but would it not be better to just use "MARC".  This would also help, in my opinion, to attract new users from Europe.

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2006-06-14

You're right.  I've changed all occurances of USMARC in the displayed text to simply say MARC.

Thanks, and sorry it took so long for you to get a reply.

Micah

• Maina Mwangi
      Maina Mwangi
      2006-07-18

Hallo Good people
      I have just installed openbiblio.The problem is that my books are classified using the universal decimal Classification (UDC).How can i import my books data(300 records) into open biblio without manually typing them in??

Alex Maina

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2006-07-21

Are you able to import your MARC records?  If so, is the UDC call number stored in a MARC subfield?  If it is, then you can run an SQL command on the database to set your call numbers according to the UDC subfield.  Assuming your UDC call numbers are in MARC subfield 099$a, then you would run this command in the MySQL monitor:

UPDATE biblio, biblio_field
        SET biblio.call_nmbr1=biblio_field.field_data
        WHERE biblio_field.bibid=biblio.bibid
        AND biblio_field.tag='099'
        AND biblio_field.subfield_cd='a';

Micah

• I am trying to upload a marc file. It says 0 records are uploaded. What fileds shoul be uploaded. How do we know where the error occured?. Thankyou.

• Does the following page answer your questions?
      http://obiblio.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main/MARCUpload

• I have a great need to export MARC record to set up a Z39.50 server. Has this ever been finished?