Hold Request by Member

• We are planing to use openBiblio. We are a small community organization and do not have any experience in library. We are seting up this library for our members and we will have only Bengali language books and audio visual materials. Given the background, I have 2 questions / feature request.

1. What is a call number and how do we create that ? I am asking this questions, since it is a required field ?

2. Is it possible for our members to put a 'Hold Request' from OPAC or always it has to be done by a designated stuff ?

Kaushik Mazumdar

• Normally, the call number:

- on non-fiction items: the dewey decimal number + first 3 letters of author's surname (if not using the dewey decimal system, whatever code you use to shelve items can go here)

- on fiction items: the first 3 letters of the surname

I agree, it would be useful for library members to be able to login on the OPAC and reserve/hold items as well as check on their loans, fines etc.

• Can this be considered for the next version ?

• Anonymous

This feature would be highly useful  and desirable.

• Kodiak3000

Now seven years after this request first made; I'm new to OB, and loving it, but this feature would be very helpful for me as well. When I log in to my local library's OPAC using my card number and a password, I can hold books I want to read when they are checked back in. It seems like an essential use of a ONLINE PAC. Any chance we'll see this feature any time soon? Any time at all? Thanks for a great tool!

• Micah Stetson
    Micah Stetson

This feature will be in 1.0 and is already mostly written. Unfortunately, none of the organizations that funded earlier versions of OpenBiblio is particularly interested in any new features.  So I don't know when it will be released.  I've been working on it every so often for the last several years, and others have helped from time to time, but there's been nobody working steadily on OpenBiblio for quite a while.