Lookup add-on updated

2006-09-09
2013-05-30
  • Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2006-09-09

As asked I have modified the Lookup add-on to use multiple repository servers. 

You can now specify in the .conf file as many repository servers as you wish.  each hit will display the name of the repository as well as the usual information.

If users send me the names of their favorite repository I will add them to the .conf file.  then perhaps a future improvement could provide an administrative screen with a list of repositories to choose from.  Not much point with only the two I know of so far - US Loc and National Library of Australia.

Fred LaPlante

• Hi,

I have a report on testing Lookup version 4 Sept 2006: problems with selecting multiple hits, no data copied to fields.

Testing environment:
      - OpenBiblio version CVS database version 0.5.2
      - PHP Version 4.3.2, 4.4.4.
      Did not test with openbiblio-0.5.2-pre4, instead I updated my local version from CVS at 23-9-2006. This version differs from the pre-release!

1) Default configuration
      [as released]

ISBN 9023460820
      Success! Z39.50 search data is shown below!
      2 hits, please select one.
      After clicking Select: the button shrinks, nothing else seems to happen.

When host catalogue.nla.gov.au:7090 is commented out:
      Data is not copied to fields; all are empty except "title required" and "author required".

2) Custom configuration
      [default hosts deleted, just one host: tolk.pica.nl:210 (password required)]
      4 hits, please select one.
      After clicking Select: Nothing found for ISBN = 9023460820(geb.) & Author = "Mulisch, Harry," !
      Tried to use field Date of publication, but this does not seem to do anything.
      When manually selecting Date of publication = 1995. and ISBN 9023460820 Lookup just shows multiple hits again:

NOTE
      lookup_2005-07-05, is used on my production system (OpenBiblio 0.5.1)
      Selecting from multiple hits also gives an error, but in contrast to Lookup version 4 Sept 2006 there is a workaround and data is copied to fields.

Select one:
      Lookup YAZ Error: Unsupported Use attribute (114) 59
      Nothing found for ISBN = undefined & Author = "Mulisch, Harry," !
      The same error results after manually correcting ISBN to 9023460820

Workaround:
      Correct manually if neccessary: ISBN = only single ISBN, delete (pbk.) and similar additions.
      Clear fields manually: Author, Name of Publisher, Place of Publication
      As selected automatically: Date of Publication

ISBN 9023460820
      Date of Publication 1995.
      [data in all fields OK]

--
      Hans

• Fred LaPlante
        Fred LaPlante
        2006-09-25

Thanks for the report!

I will load 0.52 later today and work on your issues.

Thanks again.
        Fred LaPlante

• Fred LaPlante
      Fred LaPlante
      2006-10-11

Lookup has been fixed and tested with 0.5.2 release.

I looked up 'Ajax in Action' by Crane at US Lib of Congress and got correct response with all proper fields filled in.  Also checked out a few others that have multiple replies and they work as well.

Enjoy!

Fred LaPlante

• Thanks for the continued support!
        I've continued my testing...

OK: search results displayed now.
        Not OK: selecting from multiple hits.
        Is it possible to disable multiple hits as a quick fix? Usually the first hit will be fine with us.

All examples are for ISBN 9023460820

1) Default configuration
        [lookup_conf.php as released: 2 repositories]

2 hits, please select one.
        1 hit from loc.gov, 1 from nla.gov.au
        After clicking Select: the button shrinks, nothing else seems to happen.

2) Custom configuration
        [default hosts deleted, only one host: tolk.pica.nl:210 (password required)]
        After Select /lookup_form.php returns, just the empty form.

When Date of publication is entered for additional search criteria this doesn't seem to do anything.

On my production system, OpenBiblio 0.5.1 with lookup_2005-07-05, searching for ISBN AND Date of publication is the only way to deal with multiple hits.

BTW the soon to be released 0.6.0 will require lookup to be updated again...

• Fred LaPlante
          Fred LaPlante
          2006-10-15

Good catch!  I will look into it asap.  I find that if I comment out all but US Lib of Con in the .conf file things seem to work OK for you 9023460820 ISBN.

But the program sure fails with 2 repositories.  Strange.

Testing this sort of thing is tough as I dont really know anything about repositories other than US LOC and no very much about that.  I'm not a librarian, just got into this to help the local library move from a 'notebook ledger' to a computer based system - hand cataloging is too much for this lazy old man, so Lookup got built.  Currently writing an accounting system for the local municipality as a PHP/AJAX package - fun!

No sweat on 0.6 changes.  I'm retired so all this stuff keeps the brain working and thats good.

Fred

• I didn't know anything about Z39.50 repositories until I read about Lookup on the OpenBiblio forums and it sure looked interesting.

Went trough some trouble finding the repository for The Netherlands and to make it work with Lookup. Since it does my high school library's cataloging has improved dramatically. For example we can list almost 2000 unique topics now, while a year ago we could not produce a serious topic list.

Perhaps you will find the Canadian National Catalogue useful for multi repository testing.

* AMICUS : the Canadian national catalogue
            * Search over 26 million full records from 1,300 Canadian libraries
            http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/amicus/

Z39.50 Services for AMICUS
            http://www.collectionscanada.ca/amicus/006002-400-e.html
            Requires registration for a free AMICUS username and password; a password is valid for 6 months.

• Use this: isbndb.com