Xoops, CMS, etc....

2005-08-03
2013-05-30
  • Is anyone interested in having an OpenBiblio module for Content Management Systems like Xoops?  It seems that many of the existing functions could be handled by wrapping OpenBiblio in such a portal systems.  This ideas has been mentioned on the Xoops site, but was wondering whether it would be of interest to OpenBiblio users.

• Fantastic Idea!!!

• Micah Stetson
      Micah Stetson
      2005-08-03

Which functions would this simplify?  Staff login?  Theming?  Maybe member management?  I can't think of any other OpenBiblio functions that might already be covered by a CMS.  (I have never looked at Xoops, though.)

Dave has said in the past that he is against binding OpenBiblio to any content management system so that it no longer works on its own.  I agree with this.  I also don't like choosing one system that we support to the exclusion of others.  If, on the other hand, we can do something simple to play nicely with a number of content management systems, I'm fine with it.

I have never written code to work within a CMS, but I wonder if the theme structure in 0.6.0 would allow for themes that integrated with/got their look from a CMS.  If that could be done, we might get CMS integration without requiring it or singling out one to support.

Micah

• As you mentioned, CMS integration could simplify or eliminate such duplicated functions as login, themes, etc..).  However, the greatest advantage would be gained from the numerous functions outside the scope of OpenBiblio, that a CMS would bring.  Rarely are Library Automation Systems (especially OPACs) found in isolation -- they are always part of larger websites.  Integrating OpenBiblio into a library's overall web presence, will greatly improve utilization by your target audience.

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2005-08-03

That sounds great.  But what we need is somebody who wants to use OpenBiblio within a CMS to make this happen in a way that doesn't put any new limitations on our users (i.e. all core features must still work without a CMS).

The development team already has more than enough work supporting our libraries and trying to make 0.6.0 come together (not to mention keeping up with the rest of our lives).  So this project will have to be spearheaded by somebody else.  I'll be glad to give help and support to anybody working on this, but I can't devote much time to it at all.

Are there any volunteers?

Micah

• I use e107 cms and some method of integrating with that would be magnificent.

I would assume that some form of api would be needed to enable looking up of user and class/group membership would be needed.  This can then be replaced by an authentication script for the particular cms in use.  Integrating with different cms' themes/skins would be a nightmare though as each does it very differently.

• I would love the ability to use Openbiblio as a component in Joomla and have OPAC module published on the front end.

I don't think it needs to limit Openbiblio as a stand alone library automation software. But if future versions can be written (with API's) so that someone could port the stand alone and release a component/module set then at least the possibility is there.

I have just spent 4 hours trying to hack a new install of openbiblio so the "summary" text area will make use of FCKeditor so the user can have some formatting options.

As of right now, I am not successful, since it appears to make that textbox through an array of MARC field data. I have yet to find the exact place I need to hack so that when the field is generated it calls the FCKeditor function to create the pretty WYSIWYG text area.

Maybe openbiblio writers have a request for that already, but even just being able to specify a path for a text editor in a config file (which will then be called dynamically in the form) would "pretty up" the long description portion of the biblio record.

If I can be of any help I would love to. So far I am just trying to figure out how the 0.5.1 release is coded so I can customize a little and that's proving to be frustrating! :)

your thoughts?

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2006-02-07

Actually, somebody else is working on a Joomla! component.  His site is linked from a news release on our home page http://obiblio.sourceforge.net/

As for formatting the summary text, I'm not sure it's a good idea.  MARC is really intended for plain text, and we're trying to get as close to MARC as we can for interoperability.  It would be fine as an optional add-on, but I would vote against it being in the distribution.

Micah

• I have some extra functions that would be gained from the integration: an amazon like interface where users can add their ratings, comments and/or reviews to the book. This will allow patrons to make a better informed choice.

I don't know if it is possible but this kind of functionality could maybe be added to openbiblio itself?

Regards

Patred

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2006-10-03

Would it be like making each item in OpenBiblio appear as an article to the CMS, then the CMS's built-in rating system works out of the box?  That might be pretty cool.

A rating system can be added to OpenBiblio itself.  I'm going to be doing it in my custom version soon, so it should make it into stock OpenBiblio eventually.

Micah

• exactly :) As a school librarian I have always liked the interactivity of amazon (been jealous about it to be honest)

I once read a thread about phpmylibrary and postnuke, there they talked about adding hooks to the modules so the CMS system could recognise and link to the library module. Now I'm not a programmer so it was like complete chines to me, but maybe you have an idea.

Having the ratings would already be a bit help, the review part can wait!
          ANd thanx for the speedy reply !!

Patred

• Micah Stetson
            Micah Stetson
            2006-10-03

I will be working on it, but I can't promise it will be ready soon.

Micah

• No probs Micah, take your time. I am already glad I got a positive reply!

Thanx

Cheers
              Patred TheKnight