html link

• is it possible to insert a link anywhere in the 'add new bibliography' screen that could be used to link to an online copy of a book. i.e. something on project gutenburg?

• URL can be inserted, add html tags manually to make a link of it. Sometimes I make links like this in the summary field.

Following thread contains experimental code for converting URL to hyperlink automatically, but there are issues due to limitations of the 0.40/05x OpenBiblio database format:

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson

Beware adding HTML tags to bibliography fields.  MARC data is not intended to be interpreted as HTML, and I regard it as a bug that OpenBiblio currently does so.  I'm all for making 856 fields work as links, but I just don't like sticking HTML in MARC records.

The development team hasn't really talked about the issue, yet, so I'm not saying what the final decision will be.  But if I have my way, this functionality will disappear.

• thanks Hans,

I just found another post in the help forums which also deals with this subject:

thanks again, i'll have a look at all this stuff and let everyone know how i get on

• I wonder if you have any alternative suggestions Micah?
      A friend of mine is fairly adept at php etc and I was going to ask him to help me out before Hans replied. I'd much rather have something that wouldn't prevent me from moving to future releases of OpenBiblio but the ability to link to (and catalog) onlie texts is pretty important for my library.

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson

There are two alternatives I think would be fine:

1.  Use Hans's HTML suggestion, but have a plan for switching to 856 at some point in the future.  I would try to be careful only to add HTML in a few fields in a uniform way; I would add an 856 field as well.  Then when 856 is supported, you can use some SQL to remove the HTML and just use the 856.

2.  Use an interim 856-handling patch to make the links.  The problem here is that you have to be careful about having multiple links on a single item.  The current database format has bugs that make this unreliable.  But if you only want a single link on each item, or you can live with a little uncertainty about multiple links, Hans posted code to do that some time ago.  Minor modifications may be needed, as it predates 0.5.  But the code looks reasonable to me.

You can get Hans's patch from

There's some more discussion about this in the thread surrounding that post.

Either of these will be fine for upgrading, because I'm sure we'll support the 856 field in the future.

• Hans

I wonder could you email me, I'd like to ask you some questions about how to use your code.

padraic dot stack at