Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Batch Import of Members?

BPatten
2005-05-31
2013-05-30
  • BPatten
    BPatten
    2005-05-31

A school I am working with would like to batch import all 250 of their students.  They do not care about card numbers so any unique number will do.  Is there a way to do this inside of OpenBiblio or should I just import them directly into the MySQL database?  If the latter, any gotchas I should pay attention to?  Thanks in advance for any help.

• Micah Stetson
      Micah Stetson
      2005-05-31

Importing them into the MySQL database is the way to go. You could probably just load CSV into the member table.  I'm not aware of any particular gotchas.

If you have time, you might consider writing up a mini-howto about it and posting it here.  I'm sure there will be others that would benefit from it.  Documentation is not one of our strong points right now.

Micah

• BPatten
      BPatten
      2005-06-01

Micah -
        Thanks for the reply.  If I am successful (and the client FINALLY makes up their mind to go ahead with this project)I will upload a mini howto.  The member table seems pretty straight forward (not exactly sure how the last_change_userid field is used). 
        If I batch upload some values into the member table, do I need to do anything to the mbr_classify_dm or member_account tables at the same time?

Bryant

• Micah Stetson
        Micah Stetson
        2005-06-04

You don't need to do anything to mbr_classify_dm or member_account.  Last_change_userid is the userid of the last staff account to edit this member.  It isn't used very much at the moment.  Just set it to a valid userid from the staff table, 1 will probably work.

Micah